Sign in to follow this  

Wheel carrier on open trailer

So like it says. I've got an open car trailer that I haul on. I've got a complete rear spar wheel. I want to mount it on the trailer. There isn't really room in my suburban. I'm a proficient welder so I can put anything on the trailer. Any suggestions on how to hold the wheel? His is a pic of the setup.

E3C2D6F9-1514-41CA-993B-01000631416C-105

You are talking about the spare tire for the trailer right? I would go get a piece of threaded rod from Home Depot, one that fits the lug hole on the wheel the best, weld it onto the front cross bar that the tire is leaning against. You can easily mount the tire on the rod. use which ever hole in the rim that give the tire some support from the trailer w/o the tire being at an angle and run a nut down to hold it on.

OR

Using the same treaded rod and a piece of channel, weld the channel across the "V" width wise of the trailer, threaded rod pointing up or down (if going down, use 2 pieces of rod) and bolt the tire on so it is laying across the trailer.

To secure it from theft, run a cable and pad lock through the hub and around a solid piece of the trailer (like the tongue).

No not the spare for the trailer. That's already mounted. I'm talking about a complete rear for my dirt bike. I want to mount it somehow on the trailer

No not the spare for the trailer. That's already mounted. I'm talking about a complete rear for my dirt bike. I want to mount it somehow on the trailer

OK, same idea, run a piece of threaded rod through the trailer's spare, put nuts on both sides of the rod, to attach it to the wheel solid. Mount the spare wheel, through the hub, on that rod.

Or...even better; Got a piece of square stock for an up-right, weld that onto the trailer, then find an axle on E-Bay and weld that to your trailer, use a piece of PVC as a spacer/weather seal ( for the welded side of the axle) and mount your spare rim to it using "stock" bike parts.

How about another one of those "bike shoes" and a cable lock?

Dave

I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of cradle.  I'm not worried about locking it.  I have a 30' cable that I run through all the bikes and lock to the trailer.  I could jsut run it through the wheel as well.

I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of cradle. I'm not worried about locking it. I have a 30' cable that I run through all the bikes and lock to the trailer. I could jsut run it through the wheel as well.

Cradle will work. I can't picture a good way to build it. Someone on here should though.

Also, you could get a used spare axle with nut. Mount angle iron strait up. Drill hole for axle. Weld in spacer to take up diff in angle width. Best would be to mount the axle height so that both top and bottom of tire has light pressure on the angle when snug. Actually, now that I think about it, you could mount two posts like a cradle and use the axle just like a swing arm.

So like it says. I've got an open car trailer that I haul on. I've got a complete rear spar wheel. I want to mount it on the trailer. There isn't really room in my suburban. I'm a proficient welder so I can put anything on the trailer. Any suggestions on how to hold the wheel? His is a pic of the setup.

E3C2D6F9-1514-41CA-993B-01000631416C-105

Simple way would be to set it in front of the spare on the tongue. (the tongue will hold it upward in place)

Run a long bolt through the spare tire center or lug nut hole- through the axle slot in the dirt bike wheel- snug down.

Nobody could run off with it quick and should be pretty solid.

Won't cost a lot to try- a long bolt and nylok nut.