Sign in to follow this  

Tick in top end 1500 miles from home

I'm in Redding California, and developed a tick noise in motor. Started a few hundred miles ago. Bike runs great, starts easy, but this noise is new.

Valves are in spec, timing is correct, cam chain tight. However, the auto decomp assembly on my hotcams can be moved with my finger, and make a tick sound. Is lateral play normal?

I've heard of guys removing the assembly, what is involved with this?

Have not heard of a hotcams decomp assembly failing...

Any help greatly appreciated.

the auto decomp moves very freely, i have 3 sets of cams.. 2 stock, 1 stg2 hotcams..they all do that..

i assumed it was a noise maker also

could be worn cam chain guides.

you say cam chain tight, so im assuming you have a mcct???

worn cam chain?

how many miles on bike?

Edited by 707LAKE

Did your hotcams auto decomp make a tick sound?

Bike has 12k miles.

Installed mcct yesterday, sound still there.

I'm in Redding California

We need to ride my friend! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400370434.483111.jpg

Oh wait you don't live in redding your just passing threw?

Did your hotcams auto decomp make a tick sound?

Bike has 12k miles.

Installed mcct yesterday, sound still there.

hard to tell, i need cam chain guides and chain, and they make a very similar noise i think..

so im not sure

i remember i could flick it back and forth quickly(with my finger) and it would tick kinda

Holed up in a motel until I get this sorted. I live in BC Canada.

Anyone with hotcams have a tick from their decomp?

What else could it be?

Holed up in a motel until I get this sorted. I live in BC Canada.

Anyone with hotcams have a tick from their decomp?

What else could it be?

what are u doing in redding?

this gives me an idea to steal from someone else on another forum. I just have to find a good way to set it up.

who are the mods here? 

only modsi seen in the drz side are e marquez bryan bosch and sometimes justin pearson

• Like 1

We came down the 101, and were planning to go across Nevada, into Utah, then up Idaho.

However, in the meantime we're trying to get the bike sorted, and in any downtime might as well drink beer.

We came down the 101, and were planning to go across Nevada, into Utah, then up Idaho.

However, in the meantime we're trying to get the bike sorted, and in any downtime might as well drink beer.

if you don't get anywhere with it let me know and I can forward you to a couple real good local motorcycle mechanics. I would offer to help but I'm going to Nashville for the week

Thanks, are they shops, or guys you know? Reason being it's Sunday, and most shops seem to be closed today and tomorrow.

If I end up deciding to take the decomp off, someones garage would be huge, as I'm working in a parking lot with very limited tools.

• Like 1

Thanks, are they shops, or guys you know? Reason being it's Sunday, and most shops seem to be closed today and tomorrow.

If I end up deciding to take the decomp off, someones garage would be huge, as I'm working in a parking lot with very limited tools.

this is what i was talking about. if we started a thread or something that put peoples emails/phone numbers/general contact info, on it, people that need help could look around the area that they're in and call/email/message them and try to get help without spending a ton of money for someone else to do the same thing that we could do ourselves. and not have to spend the night somewhere we didnt plan and spend money that wasnt budgeted to be spent. even if no contact info was posted, just state that they're willing to help and let people message them. i get notifications on my phone during the day. so i'd see messages from here pretty fast...

Good idea.

But for my situation, not sure what to do. Seems like some noise from the decomp can be normal, but not always there for everyone. Also sounds like some manual play in the assembly is normal.

Tempted to ride it as is, and see if it gets worse. Other option is do surgery on her in the parking lot... Neither really appeals to me.

Third option is that I'm misdiagnosing the problem.

Well the main guy i would recommend is the head mechanic at the Honda/Kawi dealer, he's been working on bikes a long time. He's one of my buddies, my go to guy when I have problems. I can get a hold of him and see if he can give you a hand. Most shops in the area are closed Sunday/Monday

When I rode from Florida to Texas and back about 1500 mile, I took enough tools to do a valve job, back pack must have weighed 30 lbs or more. On the way back I said hell with that and left the tools in Texas, for when the wife came to Florida in a month or so. Oh my god the ride back was so much nicer , just me and the bike, no crapola was I carrying. But it would take more than a little tick for me not to be Home by now, in your shoes.

When I rode from Florida to Texas and back about 1500 mile, I took enough tools to do a valve job, back pack must have weighed 30 lbs or more. On the way back I said hell with that and left the tools in Texas, for when the wife came to Florida in a month or so. Oh my god the ride back was so much nicer , just me and the bike, no crapola was I carrying. But it would take more than a little tick for me not to be Home by now, in your shoes.

ya if I were you I would run it.. But there's a obvious risk there. How loud is it? Like can you hear it when your doing 65?

Yeah, I've all but decided to run it, unless someone can tell me that that much play in the auto decomp is way wrong.