Sign in to follow this  

Honda crf450

Looking to make the jump from a cr250 to a crf450 found some good deals and I'm looking at a 09,10 or 11' obviously the older the cheaper what should I go with?

The newer the better, but honestly any of the 3 years (09, 10, 11) are great bikes. They all need some suspension work to perform optimal; but overall great bikes. 

I have an 09 and would not sell or trade it for anything in the world. 

Regardless of which year you choose.. on the track it's 90% rider and 10% bike that wins the race. Don't let anyone tell you different.. check out the link below for a good example.

It's not what you ride, but how you ride. 

Let us know what you decide. 

Good luck.

JL

• Like 1

I'm just a worried about the so called starting problems the 09s have an since there the first year for fuel injection I didn't know if they had any problems

I have an 09. Starting can depend, sometime takes the first kick and others a lot more. What a lot of people have done is have the ECU reprogrammed and it fixed the starting problems. And the good thing is is that it's only $40.

Hard starting often applies to all years, not just the 09. It also applies to most any of the big 4 strokes regardless of color. This can be valves out of adjustment, bad fuel, weak/fouled spark plug, remap issue, etc. If the bike in question has had mod work, and still has the original ECU, it's almost always a remap problem.  

The fix is more often than not a simple $50.00 ECU remap.

Good luck.

JL

I have the 09 450, it's a great bike. As the other thumpers have said, remap and suspension is a must but really any bike you get needs some sort of mod to suit your liking. When I ride mine I love it and can't complain, plenty of power, really lite and handles great but when I read all the negative stuff online about it I feel like it's the worst bike in the world, until I hop on it and ride it. So that's probly the worst thing about it is that it has a bad rap.

I'm just a worried about the so called starting problems the 09s have an since there the first year for fuel injection I didn't know if they had any problems

In 11 I was on the fence & contemplating buying a 09-11 efi model & had been reading all the negative feedback on the mx mags & internet.   I decided to give it a try & pick up a used 09 model so I wouldn't take a big hit in case I needed to sell it if it didn't work out.   Ended up picking up a 09 clean low hr. bike from a local racer that had already done the suspension work locally at MDK in San Jose.  The only negative I had after my first ride was the hard starting as it took sometimes 10 + kicks to get her going & got worst as it got hot.    After reading on this site about the Eddie remaps I gave it a try & it turned out to be the missing piece for the bike to become a very good mx machine IMHO.  I logged a few hrs. in a year & really started to like the efi model so in the spring of 12 I was going to pick up a new model, but ended up saving $2K + with a left over 10 model.   Wanted to start with a fresh bike & set it up to my liking.

Owned roughly 20+ bikes & have ridden different make & models thru 30+ years of riding & feel the 09-12 models get a bad rap.  I do admit in stock form they don't impress, but it doesn't take much to transform them into a worthy mx machine.   The 10 once I set it up has become one of my favorite bikes even over the much acclaimed 05-08 models.  Try one out & you can judge one for yourself in the end that's what matters as you'll be the one riding it...           

• Like 2

Sounds like it's worth saving the extra money on a 09 and just remapping the ecu? This correct. Any other reason I should get the 10' or 11'

Since there all good bikes with minor changes would you pay $500 more for a 10'

i would i had a choice the guy who i bought my 10 from had a 09, that had asv levers hammer head shifter and it had cleaner plastics. i chose the 10 over the 09 but he wanted same price, the 10 needed a chain and sprockets and by the time i get asv levers and a few things it will end up costing me 500 more than the 09 would of cost. the 10 is easier to start because of the improved map on ecu and the decompresson pin is redesigned, plus nada is more on the 10

Any 2009 should already have the updated decompression system installed. If not, you should be able to get it for free from your Dealer.

I have an 09 with over 60hrs and usually 1-3 kicks even when it's cold outside. I think that it just depends on the maintenance on the bike.