Sign in to follow this  

New to dirt bikes need some advice

I was thinking about buying my first dirt bike and after a decent amount of research I've come to the conclusion that I want a yz125 for practicing and a little trail riding(nothing too crazy just a bumpy road in my backyard). I am 5'9 and weigh aprox 130 lbs I'm an ectomorph. My spending budget isn't too big so I was thinking of buying a used 1999 yz125 for 800. Maybe when I learn enough il upgrade to something nicer. I have 2 questions. Should I start with a newer model of yz125 or will the 99 do what I want, be reliable and last a long time with out breaking down. Next question is how much would it cost to have a mechanic check the bike for any issues? I appreciate any input

Edited by jonyboy5

I was thinking about buying my first dirt bike and after a decent amount of research I've come to the conclusion that I want a yz125 for practicing and a little trail riding(nothing too crazy just a bumpy road in my backyard). I am 5'9 and weigh aprox 130 lbs I'm an ectomorph. My spending budget isn't too big so I was thinking of buying a used 1999 yz125 for 800. Maybe when I learn enough il upgrade to something nicer. I have 2 questions. Should I start with a newer model of yz125 or will the 99 do what I want, be reliable and last a long time with out breaking down. Next question is how much would it cost to have a mechanic check the bike for any issues? I appreciate any input

You need to budget for riding gear as well. You need a helmet, riding boots(not work boots), and goggles at the bare minimum. If you have 800 saved up don't buy an 800 dollar dirt bike because then you will have no money for protective equipment and parts for the bike. Any 800 dollar dirt bike which is 15 years old will need some work and money spent on it.
  • Like 1

You need to budget for riding gear as well. You need a helmet, riding boots(not work boots), and goggles at the bare minimum. If you have 800 saved up don't buy an 800 dollar dirt bike because then you will have no money for protective equipment and parts for the bike. Any 800 dollar dirt bike which is 15 years old will need some work and money spent on it.

ahh thanks. Forgot about that any good brand recommendations?

Try to find one that comes with gear. You'll most likely need to spend 12 to15 hundred to get a really nice yz.