Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

What's the Consensus on SHORAI Lithium LFX09L2-BS12 vs. Yuasa YTZ10S Lead Acid Battery?

I did a ton of searching and reading of about a dozen threads for the past hour and can't seem to get to the bottom of this topic.

My DRZ has high powered Lynx fairing headlights, GPS, heated grips, a heated vest, and I use a cigarette lighter electric air pump.

Thanks!

I am not a fan of the ultra light /lithium stuff.

We tried many manufactures in our track bikes but they just don’t hold up in the cold Minnesota weather. We even bought their charger / re-conditioner.

We switched back to lead acid.

They are slick if you can get them to work as they are super light.

We had the best luck with the 8 cell units but they still did not last more that a year.

• Like 1

I have had good experience also but saying that, both Chooken and I live in warm climates where 20c is a cool day in winter.

I've never liked acid batteries:

-Rotted battery trays, terminals and cables

-Oozing green stuff from the posts

-They're always discharged when I finally get some free time to ride

-They don't last more than a year and sometimes that means just one ride in the summer.

So it was a no brainer to me when Lithium batteries appeared in the market.

So far:

-In two years I've only needed to use the battery charger once, I don't have a tender but still it has never failed to start the bike except for that one time.

-When the battery is low in charge it responds opposite of an acid battery. With a regular battery you hit the button and the starter will spin slower with every crank until the battery dies, with the lithium the starter begins spinning very slow, then picks up until the engine starts.

• Like 2

26c at the minute, got my shorts on and checking out the beer in the fridge. :thumbsup:

Its cold and wet in townsville , maybe 26 - 28 degrees and I too am eyeing off those beers in my fridge  :smirk:

• Like 1

Well, I do live in sunny California... BUT, what about the day that American society collapses and I have make my escape off-road to the Great White North?

It could happen! :D

Edited by Excite-Bike
  • Like 2

Running a Battery Tender lithium. So far, so good. Even though I kept a tender on the stock battery, it didn't seem to have a very long life. With a modern lead acid battery, if it ever gets fully discharged, it's never going to recover, plus they sulfate and self discharge. Lithium batteried can be cycled to dead and recharged with no problem, part of why they are so popular for power tools.

• Like 1

26c at the minute, got my shorts on and checking out the beer in the fridge. :thumbsup:

Toss me a Fosters this way... M8.   :D

Well, I do live in sunny California... BUT, what about the day that American society collapses and I have make my escape off-road to the Great White North?

It could happen! :D

This post makes me think about all those ''DOOMSDAY PREPERS'' that spent million of dollars on underground bunkers and supplies and what not,  to not ever use or need them...  HA HA  :smirk:

I hope they never have to tho   :D  :devil:

• Like 2

Toss me a Fosters this way... M8.   :D

This post makes me think about all those ''DOOMSDAY PREPERS'' that spent million of dollars on underground bunkers and supplies and what not,  to not ever use or need them...  HA HA  :smirk:

I hope they never have to tho   :D  :devil:

motorcycle.jpg

Sonia-with-survivalist-Tim-amid-his-vast

91GeUSSrTDL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Excite-Bike
  • Like 2

well, I just bought an LFX12A2-BS Shorai, I bought my Megaboost battery a year ago with lifetime warranty from CycleGear, which they not don't have for these batteries anymore because after the 2nd failure I gave up on the brand, they gave me credit so I bought the Shorai instead...heres the kicker...the "kids" at CycleGear were busy showing off my new battery they lost the battery terminal bolts...this is here in SA by the way...manager was "dee da dee" and wasn't helpful but I called Shorai, told them what happened and they overnighted me two packs of two bolts so I have spares as well plus some great decals and keychains...AWESOME SERVICE...atleast they stand behind their product...I have not rode my bike yet as I have it apart to fix some other stuff (new tires and HID headlight) so I am still a few days away from actually testing out the new battery but will post my results...I am making a new post because I can't remember about the carb vacuum lines and posting a pic about that

• Like 1

So there are no arguments in favor of the big Yuasa YTZ10S over the little SHORAI Lithium LFX09L2?

Maybe I was just reading outdated threads on the oversized Yuasa battery with Eddie's bracket?

Edited by Excite-Bike

So there are no arguments in favor of the big Yuasa YTZ10S over the little SHORAI Lithium LFX09L2?

Maybe I was just reading outdated threads on the oversized Yuasa battery with Eddie's bracket?

Get the LFX14.

• Like 1

What's the difference from the LFX9?

The LFX9 has 135 CCA.  The LFX14 has 210 CCA.  I use the LFX9 as a spare.  :thumbsup: