Sign in to follow this  

2013 fuel pump replacement

So I have been having fuel issues and I think I have narrowed it down to the fuel pump. My question is after the pump is installed, the book says to hook some connectors up to a 12v batt. and run the pump for 3-5 seconds to check for leaks. Is this necessary or can I just kick it over? I just don't have that fancy connector to do that, or should I take it to the dealer to do this process?

i'm sure you can kick it over and check that way.  if it does not work then you can truck it down to the dealer. 

i was trouble shooting what i thought was a fuel problem and just kicked it over to check fuel pressure and flow and it worked fine for me.

Havent ever changed one on a honda, but I had a 2010 kx450 and I went through 3 pumps on it. No idea why. At first, the bike would bog and cut out when youw as giving it gas, then after a while it wouldnt start. Popped the air filter off and shot starting fluid in there and it fired right up. Changed the pump. Takes a little bit of time, but by kicking it over, it will prime the pump and should start up.

Thanks guys for the reply! I thought that would be ok but doesn't say anything in the book, I'll keep ya posted when I get my fuel pump in and flowin! Gonna have to start straining my fuel! Pretty sure that's why this one took a dump on me. :facepalm:  Think I'll use the gas can filter and also a tank filter for a back up protection! :thumbsup: