Sign in to follow this  

Roadside assistance?

i saw a roadside assistance thread somewhere else where guys would post what kind of help they could provide and tools and truck/trailer and all that and where they live, and maybe a place to set up a tent/sleep. we could do that on here but im not sure if anyone else would even want to. not sure how to set it up either. I just saw the guy stuck in redding and hes nowhere near home. Thats what it would be for. might give people a little more confidence to take longer trips.  Is there even any interest? 

• Like 2

I hear AAA here in cali will not tow your motorcycle if you break down,  its only meant for cars,  just what i hear, hoping its not true,  as im a member of AAA. 

• Like 1

I hear AAA here in cali will not tow your motorcycle if you break down,  its only meant for cars,  just what i hear, hoping its not true,  as im a member of AAA. 

One of their higher membership levels will give you motorcycle towing. - Well California may be different.

Edited by Halfmt1
  • Like 1

I think you have to pay in addition to the normal package for the optional recreational vehicle package, then you will get motorcycle included.

yea. i got a flat tire by the mall in palmdale and had to walk 7 miles home to get my truck because the roadside assistance i was paying for wanted to charge me $160 before mileage or something ridiculous like that. a whole car would've been way less. it doesnt make any sense..

• Like 1

I think there is a thread on Adventure Rider for something like this plus I think there are some actual websites just for this kind of stuff, I know I was interested in hosting for overnight stays for riders (not bikers) a while back but that has been a few years...would be kinda neat to get something started here on TT because this is the only forum I visit quite often...atleast for DRZ stuff and the DP forum as well...I was thinking like $20 for the night for a bed and meals...dinner and breakfast...plus use of my workshop and tools if needed...been wanting to buy a NO-Mar tire machine, maybe I could be like that outfit in Alaska where you send your tires and they are waiting for you when you arrive...Live in central Texas right off highway 10 so I would probably make a good stop...probably some BS liability involved though

• Like 1

AMA membership is cheaper than AAA and includes roadside assistance/towing for your motorcycle AND your cars.

Edited by carbon_unit
  • Like 2

I think there is a thread on Adventure Rider for something like this plus I think there are some actual websites just for this kind of stuff, I know I was interested in hosting for overnight stays for riders (not bikers) a while back but that has been a few years...would be kinda neat to get something started here on TT because this is the only forum I visit quite often...atleast for DRZ stuff and the DP forum as well...I was thinking like $20 for the night for a bed and meals...dinner and breakfast...plus use of my workshop and tools if needed...been wanting to buy a NO-Mar tire machine, maybe I could be like that outfit in Alaska where you send your tires and they are waiting for you when you arrive...Live in central Texas right off highway 10 so I would probably make a good stop...probably some BS liability involved though

i havent seen the adventure rider one. but yea. thats what i mean. just list what tools you can let people use and all that. i wish we didnt have to deal with liability stuff though. it would suck to have to worry about that after doing something to help someone...

yea. i got a flat tire by the mall in palmdale and had to walk 7 miles home to get my truck because the roadside assistance i was paying for wanted to charge me $160 before mileage or something ridiculous like that. a whole car would've been way less. it doesnt make any sense..

i carry a small 5lb tool kit with patches and air pump. plugging a street tire (i have a tubeless street setup) is trivial. removing a tube to patch and replace is a 30 minute deal, so faster than calling a tow anyway. self sufficiency always works best from my experiences. 

if you're dead set on having a number to call, check with your insurance carrier. they may have a $4/month rider that will get you  a tow to a dealership, but then you're at the mercy of their inflated prices. 

keep in mind, when you're out of town on a ride, you don't know the locals, you're at the mercy of those dealerships/shops and their prices, even if the tow is 'free'. the only time i would use a tow service is if the bike is totalled, and then i wouldn't care anyway ;-)

• Like 1

AMA membership is cheaper than AAA and includes roadside assistance/towing for your motorcycle AND your cars.

This.  But it's only included if you sign up for automatic membership renewal with a credit card.

STill, AMA membership AND roadside assistance for the same price as AAA!!!!!!

Just saw this thread and just found out my roadside assistance through Progressive is worthless.  Got a nice blunt piece of metal in my Honda 919 tire about an hour an half away from home.  Luckily my buddy was with me and went and got a plug kit.  We plugged it but lost too much air to ride it anywhere to get air at a gas station.  Called for roadside assistance, they said they would come tow it (on a Sunday night) but they couldn't do anything else.  Great tow it to a dealership to sit outside, so the next day they can deal with it and charge who knows how much.  I said no thanks, rode two up to walmart a few miles away and bought a pump.  Pumped up the tire and was on my way.  Took it easy since it was a car plug but it held.

Lesson learned.  Keep a plug kit handy and a lil pump.  I still need to call my insurance company back and tell them to cancel whatever roadside assistance I have.  I need roadside assistance not towing.

Just saw this thread and just found out my roadside assistance through Progressive is worthless.  Got a nice blunt piece of metal in my Honda 919 tire about an hour an half away from home.  Luckily my buddy was with me and went and got a plug kit.  We plugged it but lost too much air to ride it anywhere to get air at a gas station.  Called for roadside assistance, they said they would come tow it (on a Sunday night) but they couldn't do anything else.  Great tow it to a dealership to sit outside, so the next day they can deal with it and charge who knows how much.  I said no thanks, rode two up to walmart a few miles away and bought a pump.  Pumped up the tire and was on my way.  Took it easy since it was a car plug but it held.

Lesson learned.  Keep a plug kit handy and a lil pump.  I still need to call my insurance company back and tell them to cancel whatever roadside assistance I have.  I need roadside assistance not towing.

good first hand experience ! 

the slime kit for patching tubes or plugging tubeless tires and air pump all in one is a good buy at wally world for $9 or $10. carrying that, a couple of tire irons, spare spark plug, master link, and a few small tools = not having to worry about simple road side repairs. it's more difficult to find a safe spot in the shade than repair most things that happen while road riding. 

• Like 1

I have AMA roadside assistance. Not had to use it on the bike, but have used it when I locked my keys in my car...twice ;-)

i saw a roadside assistance thread somewhere else where guys would post what kind of help they could provide and tools and truck/trailer and all that and where they live, and maybe a place to set up a tent/sleep. we could do that on here but im not sure if anyone else would even want to. not sure how to set it up either. I just saw the guy stuck in redding and hes nowhere near home. Thats what it would be for. might give people a little more confidence to take longer trips. Is there even any interest?

sounds like a great idea! I live in redding and really wanted to help that guy out but I was in Tennessee for work. Really wish I was there to help the guy! At least for a garage and tools and maybe a place to stay for a night.
  • Like 1

sounds like a great idea! I live in redding and really wanted to help that guy out but I was in Tennessee for work. Really wish I was there to help the guy! At least for a garage and tools and maybe a place to stay for a night.

That's the idea. Haha. Something aaa and progressive and all those guys can't provide. I think most people thought I was taking about REAL roadside assistance instead of help from strangers..

That's the idea. Haha. Something aaa and progressive and all those guys can't provide. I think most people thought I was taking about REAL roadside assistance instead of help from strangers..

ya man pay it forward right?! I'm all about helping people. Just gotta be careful there not sketchy people. I want to do a ride from Redding to Huntington Beach in August about 550 miles and it would be nice to have some backup If needed. I'm going to see family and do some dirt bikin (uncle has 3 xr100's we like to take to the desert and mess around on) so I mainly want to just save on gas. Truck- 11mpg drz- 55mpg or so
  • Like 1