DRZ 400 E Steet rides motor capacity

Hey Guys,

I have a DRZ 400 E and want been riding 100% dirt and would like to ride a little more road to get to the dirt instead of hauling. What is the engines capacity before it's too hard on it. What's a good speed. Don't want to wind it out. Looking to change my sprokets out what should I change them to? Thanks for your help.

Hey Guys,

I have a DRZ 400 E and want been riding 100% dirt and would like to ride a little more road to get to the dirt instead of hauling. What is the engines capacity before it's too hard on it. What's a good speed. Don't want to wind it out. Looking to change my sprokets out what should I change them to? Thanks for your help.

You are overthinking this

Keep it under 5000 rpms for long distance street.

Hey Guys,

I had a DRZ400 kickstart only (same bike). Stock gearing, you could ride it all day at 55, but wouldn't want to. I was good for about 30 miles. Funny, 55+- on desert dirt was much better. A problem is the seat when not moving on, or off and on it.

Mike

Thanks guys for all the help I totally appreciate it. I guess these comments are pushing me into a Tiger 800 XC. Just looking into doing longer trips in the hills with the ability to still get back in the woods for a little flyfishing without having to go back to camp. Been riding with a different group of guys more in to the adventure seen. Will say the DRZ is the most reliable bike I've ever ridden and can still keep up with the 450's out there depending on the rider. Again thanks guys, I'm new to the forum and wish I would have joined a long time ago. You all are awesome. 

15/44 gearing 70-75 mph all day long and I have 20,000 miles on my bike.

You are overthinking this

Keep it under 5000 rpms for long distance street.

I'm usually not this blunt, but this is really bad information.  I've ridden my bike 140 miles at 80 miles per hour and about 7500 rpm's, and I have over 20,000 miles of freeway and dirt riding.  I've beat and abused my DRZ400 so much I should be disgusted with myself. 

If you want something comfortable get a big bike, don't worry about breaking the DRZ.

• Like 4

Thanks guys for all the help I totally appreciate it. I guess these comments are pushing me into a Tiger 800 XC. Just looking into doing longer trips in the hills with the ability to still get back in the woods for a little flyfishing without having to go back to camp. Been riding with a different group of guys more in to the adventure seen. Will say the DRZ is the most reliable bike I've ever ridden and can still keep up with the 450's out there depending on the rider. Again thanks guys, I'm new to the forum and wish I would have joined a long time ago. You all are awesome. 

Split the difference, KLR650 or DR650.

Mike

I'm usually not this blunt, but this is really bad information.  I've ridden my bike 140 miles at 80 miles per hour and about 7500 rpm's, and I have over 20,000 miles of freeway and dirt riding.  I've beat and abused my DRZ400 so much I should be disgusted with myself. 

If you want something comfortable get a big bike, don't worry about breaking the DRZ.

And you are perpetuating the bad information.

Motor isn't likely to seize or "blow up", but if you think you havent' done many many thousands of miles of WEAR running 7500 rpm continuously you are more than likely wrong. ;0)

If your's needs rebuilt at 30,000 instead of making it to 50,000+ then how valid is your recommendation?

And you are perpetuating the bad information.

Motor isn't likely to seize or "blow up", but if you think you havent' done many many thousands of miles of WEAR running 7500 rpm continuously you are more than likely wrong. ;0)

If your's needs rebuilt at 30,000 instead of making it to 50,000+ then how valid is your recommendation?

Most DRZ are going to die from old age or neglect before they get 30,000 to 50,000 miles.  My point is don't worry about wearing out the DRZ, it's built more like a street bike then a MX bike.  I suppose I could keep it in my garage or ride it like a granny and never have any fun.

toadl is absolutely correct .   I run mine for many miles at 65-70 mph . If you are worried about the gearing just re-gear it to the "S" model gearing . I would rather suffer a little on the roads in order to get good dirt performance . A 650 - 800 cc bike is a pig in the dirt compared to a 400 .

• 2 weeks later...

I have an E that I bought new in 06. It has been my Desert, Trail, Dual Sport, and Commuting bike with "ZERO" issues ....  all I have had to do to the bike is change the oil. I did switch gearing to 15/47 which makes Hwy stretches much more tolerable while still maintaining trail capability ....   

Truth.  I have the old dr350 and I wouldn't think twice about seventy miles an hour all day,  other than "Christ I'm wearing out these dunlops"

• 2 weeks later...