Any one has any inside info on this.

Showa's new sff air fork on rmz 450 2015

1400401279976.jpg

1400401296671.jpg

1400401316287.jpg

1400401332799.jpg

1400401350632.jpg

It looks like the works fork villapoto uses

Its cool, but really its just another gimmick manufactures are coming up with to sell dirtbikes.....Makes you overlook the poor quality, heavy weight and most importantly the overall price.....

• Like 1

Poor quality ? And this fork is lighter than older ones ?

• Like 1

Its cool, but really its just another gimmick manufactures are coming up with to sell dirtbikes.....Makes you overlook the poor quality, heavy weight and most importantly the overall price.....

lol...still uses shims and oil.

• Like 1

Poor quality ? And this fork is lighter than older ones ?

I was talking about the bike in general....

I'm not blowing Yamaha but lets be honest, the bike has had virtually the same suspension for the last 10yrs and has been at the top of the pile since 06. They could probably use that same stuff for the next 10yrs and it would still be better then anything offered to date...

As much as I hate this whole onset of air forks, this is what SHOULD have been released as a production air fork the first time around.

• Like 1

This is factory stuff from only 2 seasons ago ?

Didn't the factory edition use one side spring and one air, something like MXT's convertion?

This is certainly no gimmick, a manuf comes out with something lighter and different...isnt that what its about?  People complain about heavy bikes, no real updates, etc.  Seems like most would prefer just to have new plastics and body work, minor frame changes, not me.  Tech like this may not work out, but it certainly gets other manuf on board with actually engineering and trying out newer and lighter components and technology.  Hopefully, others try and "one-up" them with an air shock or something, not just go with bng.

This is certainly no gimmick, a manuf comes out with something lighter and different...isnt that what its about? People complain about heavy bikes, no real updates, etc. Seems like most would prefer just to have new plastics and body work, minor frame changes, not me. Tech like this may not work out, but it certainly gets other manuf on board with actually engineering and trying out newer and lighter components and technology. Hopefully, others try and "one-up" them with an air shock or something, not just go with bng.

It is a gimmick... Make the bike 10lbs lighter, less expensive and better quality and I would guarantee that Suzuki would sell 10x more bikes...

Its like putting a bandaid over a missing limp and then saying "hey, at least we did something"

• Like 1

i've not been into the sff air production version. we should be getting a hold of some soon. one of my two stroke pilots is interested in the design to do some testing.

currently, i've got two riders attempting to qualify for the glen helen, and hang town mx nationals. one rider is on the 14 yami, the other on the 14 kawi. 

the difference; if a seal blows on the kawi, then suspension may suffer to the point of non-function. while the yami keeps on truckin.

i kept an open mind with the psf design. two years later, i'm over it. we've got some settings that have been very well received. overall, the sss is my favorite. 

way more support for kyb than showa as well. 

• Like 1

It is a gimmick... Make the bike 10lbs lighter, less expensive and better quality and I would guarantee that Suzuki would sell 10x more bikes...

Its like putting a bandaid over a missing limp and then saying "hey, at least we did something"

You're entitled to your opinion.  This is a step in the right direction, particularly in the weight area and they are keeping the price the same.  My def of a gimmick is the Yamaha backwards engine design, it did nothing but hurt that bike, and it cost them a shit ton to engineer it.  I love Yamaha dont get me wrong, and respect them for pushing the envelope, but until there are some reviews and real world testing of the new forks, no one has anything but an opinion and your's is no more valid than mine.

• Like 3

You're entitled to your opinion. This is a step in the right direction, particularly in the weight area and they are keeping the price the same. My def of a gimmick is the Yamaha backwards engine design, it did nothing but hurt that bike, and it cost them a shit ton to engineer it. I love Yamaha dont get me wrong, and respect them for pushing the envelope, but until there are some reviews and real world testing of the new forks, no one has anything but an opinion and your's is no more valid than mine.

I agree. But slapping "works" forks on the Suzuki like putting lipstick on a pig....

I agree. But slapping "works" forks on the Suzuki like putting lipstick on a pig....

They are all pigs, regardless...it does make them more interesting. 

• Like 3

Yes but it might force others like ktm to offer something better

• Like 1

Air forks are here to stay. They will progress just like spring forks have over many years and will surpass spring forks in performance as the R&D continues.

The current issues will be addressed and the bottom line, Cheaper and Lighter.

So when they start out performing the spring fork everyone wins.

I have been told there are two Showa air forks one the racers are using and the production fork on the RMZ.

Two different animals, but have not seen them to confirm.

• Like 2