Sign in to follow this  

Water?

So on Friday, it was raining hard here. Me and 4 freinds decided we wanted to ride so we did. However, I left my bike out on the trailer, waiting for a call to go. Then we drove down the highway. I think I might have gotten water in the airbox/carb/motor. It took me at least 50+ kicks to start it.

BTW it's a 2t.

So my question is, did I have water in it, or did I just borderline foul a plug?

So on Friday, it was raining hard here. Me and 4 freinds decided we wanted to ride so we did. However, I left my bike out on the trailer, waiting for a call to go. Then we drove down the highway. I think I might have gotten water in the airbox/carb/motor. It took me at least 50+ kicks to start it.

BTW it's a 2t.

So my question is, did I have water in it, or did I just borderline foul a plug?

Was the A/F wet?

Did you pull it and find water in the boot and carb?

If not maybe the latter, or water shorting something or maybe it just made it extra cold and harder to start.

• Like 1

Water wouldn't have penetrated the air box by the bike standing upright in the rain. Humidity makes the bike run leaner, so you wouldn't have fouled the plug based on the rain.

But if ur still jetted for winter, temps rise which means you gotta rejet ur bike or it'll RUN RICH. So that's the only possible scenario I can forecast based on the info given.

But you got'r started?? I rode with my buddy in pouring rain once. Who thought it would be fun?? But we had a blast sliding slipping slopping around, riding 1/2 our abilities. It was great.

Downside of that rain ride was this. We stopped on top a hill with a cliff half way down. I bump started my bike to jump off the cliff, but mud makes for no traction hence the wheel just slid dune the hill!! Off the cliff, front end dropped like a stone. Classic endo, put both thighs into the handlebars and couldn't walk for a week.

• Like 2

Water wouldn't have penetrated the air box by the bike standing upright in the rain. Humidity makes the bike run leaner, so you wouldn't have fouled the plug based on the rain.

But if ur still jetted for winter, temps rise which means you gotta rejet ur bike or it'll RUN RICH. So that's the only possible scenario I can forecast based on the info given.

But you got'r started?? I rode with my buddy in pouring rain once. Who thought it would be fun?? But we had a blast sliding slipping slopping around, riding 1/2 our abilities. It was great.

Downside of that rain ride was this. We stopped on top a hill with a cliff half way down. I bump started my bike to jump off the cliff, but mud makes for no traction hence the wheel just slid dune the hill!! Off the cliff, front end dropped like a stone. Classic endo, put both thighs into the handlebars and couldn't walk for a week.

OK. Thanks for the info. I love riding in the rain, minus the low visibility. I kept taking rain in my eyes or trees with my goggles. LOL. What happened when you took the bars to the thighs? Bruised? Sore muscle? Fracture? I'm just curious. Thanks again for the info.

OK. Thanks for the info. I love riding in the rain, minus the low visibility. I kept taking rain in my eyes or trees with my goggles. LOL. What happened when you took the bars to the thighs? Bruised? Sore muscle? Fracture? I'm just curious. Thanks again for the info.

Deep bruising. Literally could not bend my knees (thus flexing quads) for almost a week. Walked around like my legs were poles, couldn't bend em!

if we don't ride in the rain....we pretty much don't ride

That's WA for you.  I was born there, moved away when I was 1.  Only been back once summer of 2010, had a great time and great weather.  But it rains too much for me to live there (and ride there).

As I understand it though, it rarely downpours.  It's usually just a misty moderate rain, but it rains so much it's like tropical rainforest minus the heat.  How close is that to the truth?

What a depressing place to live...

tumblr_lq3brnn7E71qht847.gif

not really. it's only depressing if you let it stop you from going outside. once you realize that you won't melt and can have lots of fun in the rain it's a blessing. we have everything you could possibly want to do here. there's just no san diego style weather. i consider that pretty awesome 'cause it keeps the wussies away and keeps us from getting even more over-crowded than we already are.  

• Like 3

not really. it's only depressing if you let it stop you from going outside. once you realize that you won't melt and can have lots of fun in the rain it's a blessing. we have everything you could possibly want to do here. there's just no san diego style weather. i consider that pretty awesome 'cause it keeps the wussies away and keeps us from getting even more over-crowded than we already are.  

But nine months of not seeing the Sun would drive me nuts.

But nine months of not seeing the Sun would drive me nuts.

it's really more like 7. shrub likes to exaggerate a bit.  plus for a 2 hour drive to the other side of the mountains gets you all the sunshine, sand, and open desert riding you need. and you can pair it with giant sturgeon fishing or duck hunting while you're there.   

• Like 2

it's really more like 7. shrub likes to exaggerate a bit.  plus for a 2 hour drive to the other side of the mountains gets you all the sunshine, sand, and open desert riding you need. and you can pair it with giant sturgeon fishing or duck hunting while you're there.   

Oh, so it's only SEVEN months with no Sun, well that's much better! :lol:

Just bustin your balls, don't take me seriously...:cheers:

• Like 3

Oh, so it's only SEVEN months with no Sun, well that's much better! :lol:

Just bustin your balls, don't take me seriously... :cheers:

no problem here. your exact attitude is why i love this climate. keeps the folks that need a cushier climate away or for short stays. it's kind of a badge of honor to be able to thrive in an environment soo many folks can't hack. if we could just keep all the cali folks from migrating up here it'd be even better. 

• Like 2

you can have your badge of honor.... :banghead::smashpc::p:foul:

:smirk:

seriously, the riding in this state is excellent.  If ya choose to ride in the rain all year, we can provide it....if ya choose to ride in most every climate/terrain the planet has to offer, we got that too.  We don't have death valley type of deserts, but they are pretty dry.  I can't say I'm staying for my retirement days, but I will definitely have a cabin in mtns so I can come back during the summer.  Seattle is truly beautiful when you can see it through the fog.

• Like 2