Sign in to follow this  

XR400 newbie and loving it!

20140518_124743_Richtone(HDR)1.jpgBought my first dirt bike last week. 2000 XR400R.

Have been riding road for 3 or 4 years now, regularly ride track days on my GSX-R 1000 and do a bit of touring with the girl on my FZ6-S.

But i live out the bush a bit in Tasmania, Australia, so after doing a bit of reading and some trolling through the shit on Gumtree, found a 2000 model XR400,

They have a good rep for being a solid bike with minimal maintinence, compared to modern 2 strokes, which is what i wanted. something i could just hop on and ride every now and then without pulling the donk apart every 2 hours.

I ended up getting her for 1700$. It was a good buy, but you never know what your gunna get when you buy 2nd hand i guess.

The bloke hadn`t started it for a year, and after watching a vid on youtube on how to get `em going, she fired up 6 or 7th try. No smoke or knocks, not road registered. No obvious big prangs, good tyres, good chain and sprockets.

Carted it home on a mates trailer, downloaded the service manual from Carl Salter, got a new plug, and dropped the oil and swapped the filter.

Today, after ripping the bed frame out of my old surfy van, and putting in a few eye bolts for tie-down points, I hauled her up to the forestry area just up the road and MAN!!!! what have i been doing all these years...?

Theres no denying that the thrill from the speed and acceleration of the GSX-R is unbeatable, but riding on dirt is fawken` awesome!!!!

The XR loves 3rd..! found some good mud runs that the 4wds have been carving up, and a good couple of hill climbs.

Can`t wait to have another crack in a few days with me ol` mate who had to work today unfortunatley.

I woulda gone a bit harder, but if i dropped it in the deep mud pools, it woulda been a bit of a shit fight to lift her up and get her going again myself. She tried her best to kick me off under throttle up a hill and i know i have a lot to learn, but just stoked to be out there and getting amongst it. 

Realised that theres miles and miles of forestry roads and trails cut through the bush all within a 10 minute drive from home.. YIEW!!!!

Cheers.

Edited by octonaut
  • Like 1

awesome... bet there is some great ridin in tassie !! i love 3rd as well, the mid range of these bikes is sweet !!

have fun with the bike mate

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks mate  :ride:

Tassie is awesome. great wilderness areas, fantastic surf, and now.... good spots to ride.

would love to get to cali one day to see the redwood forests.

stay upright my friends.

• Like 1

I dont own one but the XR400 is one of the best bikes ever made IMO and would probably be the one id buy if i went back to a thumper. They are reliable, torqy, and fast if you know how to ride em.

I'm with you octonaut my friends have been riding for about ten years and I finally gave 6 months ago. I got mine for 400 couldn't pass it up at that price. Changed the oil and filter and I was left wondering what the hell I was waiting for the last ten year's freakin xr4s are awesome. Welcome home octonaut.

Track days for me on my GSX-R 750, riding/touring on the FZ-1, lots of seat time on the XR400. Love this bike. Torque for days! Rock solid dependable. Enjoy!

What year is your 1000? I used to have an '04 GSX-R1000 that was an absolute beast! I did at least 20+ trackdays with it. When I sold it I told the guy that it was fast with a shit load of mid range that modern bikes just don't have. He was like, "yeah yeah...I'll be fine". He had that damn thing back on CL in a month! :lol:  I picked up an '06 750 as  my track mule but wish I still had that '04 1000 for the occasional street romp.

Yeah cheers, I don`t think the xr i purchased has worked that hard really, pretty stoked.

The gixxer is an `01. there are two tracks here in Tassie. 

the local one for me is suited more to a 600cc bike with plenty of chicanes and corners and only a small straight, i had a `99 gsx-r 750 before, and i nearlly felt faster on it, as i could wring its neck a bit harder without having to worry about the excessive power...

however the other track has only a few corners but some massive straights which the 1000 loves!!

Track days are the shit!!! i learned so much about my bikes, riding techniques and myself by doing them. theres a surprising amount of motards that come to the smaller track and keep up with the big street bikes and an ol` mate on a drz400 who loves trying to wheelie the whole track.

Thanks for the welcome...  

300px-Symmons_Plains_Raceway_(Australia)                                        200px-Baskerville_Raceway_(Australia)_tr

SYMMONS PLAINS. Corner 5 is taken at about 230km p/hr                                    BASKERVILLE. Whats not show is the incline/decline. Corner 7 is Blind entry.

• Like 1