Sign in to follow this  

Meanest Road Legal Tire

Im in the process of making my 1976 Yamaha IT400C street legal so I can get to my local trails without trailering it.  Here in my state the tires have to be DOT approved to pass inspection. The tires I have to pull are mean looking IRC Motocross knobs. I'm want to replace them with the biggest meanest DOT approved tires that are on the market so It doesn't lose it dirt bike look. Does any one have any tire suggestions.

Im in the process of making my 1976 Yamaha IT400C street legal so I can get to my local trails without trailering it.  Here in my state the tires have to be DOT approved to pass inspection. The tires I have to pull are mean looking IRC Motocross knobs. I'm want to replace them with the biggest meanest DOT approved tires that are on the market so It doesn't lose it dirt bike look. Does any one have any tire suggestions.

I've used dunlop 606's.

Seemed ok until I compared the grip back to back with MX tires. 

I rate them. A bit skatey on dirt though, but never enough for me to get left behind by riding buddies.

• Like 1

Kenda Washougal and Motoz Tractionater IT. Both intermediate full Moto tires that are DOT.

That IT will be a great bike for ya! I had one on the road many years ago, and rode that thing EVERYWHERE! One of my all time favorite bikes!

If you want big and ugly, buy a Terraflex. Not very good onroad or off, but it sure looks gnarly! ...and the tread says "BOOB" (google a pic, you'll see it right away)

• Like 1

I've used dunlop 606's.

Seemed ok until I compared the grip back to back with MX tires. 

I rate them. A bit skatey on dirt though, but never enough for me to get left behind by riding buddies.

I ran 606's for years, but trying out a set of Pirelli MT21's now. The front is definitely better, rear about the same. Half way thru them, in the future I'll be running the MT21 front and either rear depending on which lasts longer.

Mike

• Like 2

You said you wanted it to be street legal by buying road tires so you can ride it there instead of trailering it....... but, how are those road tires gonna handle on dirt terrain? 

Cheng Shen made a trials tire with DOT numbers on the side.  That was the meanest road legal tire I ever rode.  The first drop of water that touched the road would put you on your ass.

Edited by 1987CR250R
  • Like 2

You said you wanted it to be street legal by buying road tires so you can ride it there instead of trailering it....... but, how are those road tires gonna handle on dirt terrain? 

Not as good, but often not bad. Worse in mud or sand in my experience. Not a lot of difference in rocks.

Mike

Great Info with a lot of different brands to choose from. I ride a lot of mountain trails that are very steep with plenty of rocks and mud holes. I do want a nice wide tire to fill the space of the original motocross tire. I owned a Suzuki Drz 400 and the stock enduro tires were awful. I bought a Dunlop that look get in the pics and when it arrived I was disappointed with it's size. Just didn't fill the void. Looked like a 100cc bike tire on a 400cc bike.

kenda trackmaster 2 is a cheap option.

That's what I use. They are fine.

20140426_173131.jpgI have ran the Pirelli XCMH, and now I am on the MT43 Trials rear and a MT16 Front. The XCMH are very agressive 99% dirt DOT tire with super duty carcas's designed to take abuse (ie Socal Trail/Dezert riding)   The Trial rear kicks a full knobby's ass almost everywhere. The MT16 front is super agressive symetrical knob front with giant knobs. 

I ran 606's for years, but trying out a set of Pirelli MT21's now. The front is definitely better, rear about the same. Half way thru them, in the future I'll be running the MT21 front and either rear depending on which lasts longer.

Mike

The front was a bit "washy-outy" but its still ok for now.

I'll look out for a MT21 in future if you reckon its a bit nicer.

Now I run MX-51s, went from "washy outy" to "washy outy"

The front was a bit "washy-outy" but its still ok for now.

I'll look out for a MT21 in future if you reckon its a bit nicer.

Now I run MX-51s, went from "washy outy" to "washy outy"

I wish I would have tried it sooner, slow to change at my age. A side benefit, if you don't mind changing tires, is it's non directional or bi directional or whatever. If it starts picking up a cup on pavement you can flip it. Haven't tried it yet though, might handle screwy for a while.

Mike

I think I found the meanest Dot road legal tire. I recently purchased this Mefo StoneMaster 140-80-18. When it arrived and I saw how large the knobs were I wasn't sure it would fit my 1976 Yamaha IT400C but it did. I havn't seen any Dot tire that can match it. Is it safe for the road? Probably not. Is it awesome , yes. Ordered a 90-90-21 for the front but havn't received it yet.

IMG_6692.JPG

IMG_6690.JPG

IMG_6691.JPG

IMG_6695.JPG

• Like 2