Sign in to follow this  

Keihin FCR39 MX carb install on 400S question

I just bought a new fcr39 and DR-Z400S conversion kit from JD Jetting. I am having a really hard time getting the S's airboot over the aluminum intake bell. I even took the carb and boot out of the bike and tried fitting them together not in the cramped little mounting space, and I couldn't get them together. Did they send the wrong airboot adapter and if so how can I tell? What is the proper OD measurement of the intake manifold? Also does anyone have advise on install sequence to make this thing go together better/easier/faster. I am pretty speedy taking the BSR36 carb in and out, but I am struggling and cursing while trying to install the fcr. Help please!

Signed,

Frustrated in Memphis

I also had a hard time getting the FCR in there. I installed it on Friday. Swamped in on Saturday. Changed the oil several times, drained the gas and replaced and got it idling on choke. Tomorrow I have to pull it and clean it out really good. Getting the air boot around the intake was a bitch but it's possible.

Dronebot , Does your FCR have a removable bellmouth ? If so , it may be the wrong size . They are a tight fit , but if it wont fit when you have removed the boot and have it in your hand makes me think your bellmouth is too big . The accepted method to install is to attatch the carb bellmouth to the boot , then pull it fwd and attatch to the intake boot . I dont know what the JD jetting conversion kit has , and have untill now never heard of it . You only stated that it was an FCR 39mm , if it isnt the MX , which has the removable bellmouth , then maybe you need to get an E model airbox boot , greg

The accepted method to install is to attatch the carb bellmouth to the boot , then pull it fwd and attatch to the intake boot .

+1 to this.  It's a real pain the first time or 2 that you do it but it will get easier with practice.

• Like 1