Sign in to follow this  

DRC Edge tail light and flasher help

I recently bought a 2009 DRZ400SM and ever since I did I've been looking to change my tail light for the DRC, but I've got a whole bunch of questions when I started looking at the TT Shop with all of it's relays, flashers, brackets and connectors.

Basically, I have no idea what I need if I buy the Edge tail light

1. Can I keep my stock flashers?

2. Do I need those flasher brackets? (weather I buy new flashers or not)

3. What is the DRC IC relay for?

4. The 12 O'Clock connectors are only used if I want to keep the stock connectors right?

Thanks

I recently bought a 2009 DRZ400SM and ever since I did I've been looking to change my tail light for the DRC, but I've got a whole bunch of questions when I started looking at the TT Shop with all of it's relays, flashers, brackets and connectors.

Basically, I have no idea what I need if I buy the Edge tail light

1. Can I keep my stock flashers?

2. Do I need those flasher brackets? (weather I buy new flashers or not)

3. What is the DRC IC relay for?

4. The 12 O'Clock connectors are only used if I want to keep the stock connectors right?

Thanks

1. Yes you can.

2. I believe the tt kit comes with the brackets.

3. It's to fix the fast flash rate that happens when you switch out the stock filament type bulbs with led. The reduction on power requirement causes a fast flash. I believe it has to do with a reduction in voltage. Yo can get relays on eBay that are just plug and play. A better option in my opinion. I'd also like to say that the "fast flash" really isn't THAT fast.

4. Yes. I suggest getting them. It makes for a cleaner installation.

The stock flash speed is really sloow. Haha. It doesn't grab your attention very well. The faster flash rate does.

actually, turn signal flashers have a bi-metallic strip inside them, made up of two differant types of metals, i.e. copper and aluminum, as the higher current of incandescent bulbs flow thru the metal strip it heats up and curls as the two differant metals heat up at differant rates and the metal strip curls up and cuts the current flow to your turn signals, then it cools down and completes the circuit again and again allowing it to flash over and over, the electronic flashers use a chip with digital timing circuit to flash the load at the proper rate

I bought all my Edge tail light and LED turn signals and DRC flasher mod relay from Wheeling Cycles, the DRC just taps into the existing relay with simple wire mod, all the instructions were included in the Edge kit, I later added the 12oclock labs main board since it wasn't available when I first bought the kit

hope that helps ya'

Edited by motobobintexas