Sign in to follow this  

Not your typical fork leak

Long story short. Took the bike out on its maiden voyage to baldwin mi today besides break in. Hit the trails and at our first stop to rest I noticed the compression adjust on the left fork top weeping oil. I wiped it off and headed back to see if we could tighten the allen up. We didnt have the right sized allen to tighten it so I figured Id call the stealership monday and get it fixed. About 30 mins after riding I noticed the adjuster completely missing. All I see in there is the gold standard flat screw and the blew o ring. It continued to leak all day.

Is this something easy to fix? Can or should I do it myself, I dont trust anybody to work on my stuff? never did fork work before. How would I drain and fill the fork? Can I do it with the fork on the bike??

Other than that bike was amazing and I had a blast!!!!! 2014 450 xc-f

Thanks

Cody

This is a 4cs fork yes ? It's a common problem and the fix is a complete strip down and rebuild , it's on u tube

Take it back to dealer , they Should fix it for free

Rebuilding the fork with stock components won't help.  The o-ring on the adjustment needle needs to be replaced with a larger size o-ring.  Its a design or manufacturing error.  Fluid leaks past this o-ring and fills the interior of the damper rod until hydraulic pressure causes the adjuster cap to eject.  Both fork legs are affected, but on the compression side it just slams the needle closed rather than ejecting the adjuster cap.  We check every 4CS fork that comes into the shop...about half of them need to be repaired.  

Send it in and we'll take care of it.  Or here's the video if you want to do it yourself:

Edited by Adammoto

Just the guy I wanted to see reply! Working with dealer now and if they wont fix it ill be sending them your way! Hopefully ktm will take care of it.

Dealer called, said they ordered parts and were giving them to me at cost (just the adjuster knob, spring, and ball) I told them that doesn't fix the problem and explained to them again what was going on. He assured me hed call ktm in the morning. So this morning I receive a call saying that ktm acknowledges the problem and it will be warrantied. I am to drop my bike off when the parts arrive. Well go from there, hopefully they know what there doing! Worst case scenario I get it back screwed up and have to send it to kreft.

Update

Ktm fixed under warranty for me, dropped off at dealer Saturday, picked up Wednesday. Rode bike today, ran great, no fork leak, suspension perfect. They did both fork legs. Bike sips the fuel! Does excellent on fuel.

Cody