Sign in to follow this  

Crank lubrication, how?

Hey guys ive never split a crank on a 2t before, im in the process of doing the top end, while reading the manual it says to apply engine oil to the bearings on the crank, i thought the crank used the same oil as the gears, if not then the tuning guide posted around here that said to check the residual oil level on the crank makes a lot of sense now, but that means the crank doesnt get a lot of lub, and if it does theres got to be a point where the oil will overflow, sorry for the ignorance....just want to understand this

Unless the crank is new or you flushed it out, you should not need to lube the crank. If you want to lube it just drip a few drops of premix on the crank lobes however as soon as the bike is started the crank gets lubed. I really see no reason to lube it.

Edited by BDubb106

The pre-mix oil does all the engine lubrication.  The trans/clutch fluid is separate from the engine.  Put a few drops of oil on the wrist pin before installing the piston and you are good to go.

This is a quick question i had about crank bearing lubrication. Why dont they put the crank seals on the inside of the bearings so they would get oiled with trans oil? something i have always wondered...

Sorry to hijack the thread...

At least in a YZ250, there is no trans oil outside the crankcase on the stator side.

It's unusual but on my daughters lt50 quad the right side main bearing is lubed with the gear oil, the seal sits on the crank side of the case, where as the left bearing is in it's usual place.

Through or to the fill hole? If its to the fill hole, that seems alot of oil doesnt?

Edited by thieaux

Oops. I meant to say to the check bolt hole. Brain fart. like 750ccs or so. 

I used to fill it to the fill hole when i was a kid...oops

Still gets me why people give advice online when they haven't got a clue what their on about themselves !