Sign in to follow this  

Crank lubrication, how?

Hey guys ive never split a crank on a 2t before, im in the process of doing the top end, while reading the manual it says to apply engine oil to the bearings on the crank, i thought the crank used the same oil as the gears, if not then the tuning guide posted around here that said to check the residual oil level on the crank makes a lot of sense now, but that means the crank doesnt get a lot of lub, and if it does theres got to be a point where the oil will overflow, sorry for the ignorance....just want to understand this

crank gets lubed by premix oil in your gas,so does piston pin,cyl,,,trans/clutch gets lubed by oil in crank case,so during assembly,squirt oil down in crank,oil pist pin,rings,cyl

• Like 1

There's a hole in each case half just above the crank bearings. Put 2T oil down those holes to lube the main bearings. The big end of the rod has a slot in it to lube that bearing. I also lube the crank and main seals before installing the crank and assembling the case halves. That's all you need to worry about in the bottom end. You can individually lube the top end parts as you assemble them.

• Like 1

There's a hole in each case half just above the crank bearings. Put 2T oil down those holes to lube the main bearings. The big end of the rod has a slot in it to lube that bearing. I also lube the crank and main seals before installing the crank and assembling the case halves. That's all you need to worry about in the bottom end. You can individually lube the top end parts as you assemble them.

Is there a specific quantity or just squirt a couple of ml in each hole, i put a couple of squirts from a squeeze bottle full of oil i have is that enough?

Also in my haste to put it together coupled with the flu i put the piston backwards with the arrow pointing to the intake, i had to take it apart, my concern is with the clips, should i order new ones or am i ok with those?

Yeah, a couple of drops in each hole should be enough.  It's only till the fuel starts getting in there once it's running.  Don't forget to lube the rod bearing, too, and spin the crank a few times to make sure it's distributed  The circlip is probably fine, but for the cost of a new one, I wouldn't take a chance.  Just order another.