Sign in to follow this  

2007 DRZ400S Fuel Intake

Hi all,

I just purchased a used '07 DRZ and it seemed to run ok upon purchase but the next day when I got it out, it would start and then after a few minutes die. I noticed the fuel line is crimped coming from the tank to to carb and I'm almost sure this is the culprit but I'm not sure how it should be routed? Based on the fuel valve coming out of the tank I don't see another routing method and it also interferes with the choke lever. The PO jetted the carb so I'm guessing he didn't put everything back quite right which is a little scary. Can someone post some pics on how it should look or provide info? To me it looks like the fuel line should come out the other side of the valve and down around but the outlet is not on that side. Thanks.

Also, he has the mixture set to a higher elevation so I'm getting a lot of popping...is it possible to adjust this without pulling the carb? I'm not very knowledgeable about carbs. Thanks.

IMG_3327.JPG

Edited by DRZ-KY

The fuel petcock is not the stock one (which is a good thing), it looks like a raptor petcock. The fuel line should be routed around the intake boot, so it should go around top then come back around the bottom and connect to the carb. This is the way I have mine routed and hove no problems. Just be sure to keep it as far away from the cylinder as possible so you don't boil the fuel in the line vapor lock the system.

Also you can turn your fuel screw out a 1/4-1/2 of turn to help alleviate excessive popping. But because you say it is jetted for a higher elevation I would pull the carb and jet it for your elevation, you will get better performance and drivability.

Also note that some popping on decal with an open pipe is normal.

Thank you...I was thinking that this was not the stock petcock. If you happen to have a pic of how you did it, that would be immensely helpful. I might need to buy some longer tubing.

That petcock is stock on some models, it is the same as mine here in Norway. 

edit: scratch that, it's identical in looks but routed different.

Bz8Xhyl.jpg

Edited by ohtobias
  • Like 1

Just for reference, here is the stock petcock for my S.

And FWIW, mine works flawlessly (25,000 miles).

Ironically, I just this morning re-jet my bike for HIGH altitude. 

Headed to Colorado Friday.

Petcock.jpg

Edited by Filipe

I was going to put on a Clarke tank anyway. I guess I should just get that and maybe a different petcock and be done.

I ordered some fuel line tubing for now and I'll re-route it until I can figure out which tank I want, etc.

In the meantime, I know many install the extended fuel mixture screw so it can be easily adjusted but is it possible to make adjustments without removing the carb? I don't want to tear it down if I don't have to...I'm all thumbs. I'm trying to find on the diagram where this screw is located on carb even...can someone point it out to me?

Thanks for all the help fellow TT'ers.

The fuel screw sits on the bottom of the carb, towards the front of the bike. With the extended fuel screw it's easy to get two fingers in there to adjust it while the bike is running. It's actually possible to adjust the stock fuel screw with some inventive tool use, but the extended screw is so inexpensive I'd rather just get that.

I had to remove my carb and drill out the plug covering the idle mixture screw. Don't know if later models are different, but I doubt it.

The plug is on the bottom of the carb in front of the float bowl.

Impossible to get to without removing the carb.

Not an impossible task, but don't get in a hurry.

And you might as well do all your work on it while it is out.