Sign in to follow this  

2008 KTM EXCR 530 oil change

Hello Thumpertalk. I recently bought a 2008 EXCR 530 dual sport. It has 10800 miles on it. My question is how often or how many miles or hours should I go before I change my oil and oil filter and also the gear oil? Should I stick with the fully synthetic Motorex engine oil that it came with from the guy I bought it from? What gear oil should I run? Weight/viscosity? Also any and all other info that I should know about this bike would be very greatly appreciated. This is the first bike I've had where I have to take care of all the maintenance as my dad always took care of it when I was little then we just stopped riding so I never learned it all. Thank you in advance and happy riding.

2008 KTM XC-F 450

2008 KTM EXCR 530

Hello Thumpertalk. I recently bought a 2008 EXCR 530 dual sport. It has 10800 miles on it. My question is how often or how many miles or hours should I go before I change my oil and oil filter and also the gear oil? Should I stick with the fully synthetic Motorex engine oil that it came with from the guy I bought it from? What gear oil should I run? Weight/viscosity? Also any and all other info that I should know about this bike would be very greatly appreciated. This is the first bike I've had where I have to take care of all the maintenance as my dad always took care of it when I was little then we just stopped riding so I never learned it all. Thank you in advance and happy riding.

2008 KTM XC-F 450

2008 KTM EXCR 530

I'm not getting dragged into an oil thread here.  I change my oil about every 10 hours.  Some change more frequently, some less frequently.  I run Motorex 10/50 in the engine and Rotella 10/50 in the Tranny (the full synth makes the Rekluse chatter too much).  

Changing the engine and tranny oil should not take more than 10 or fifteen minutes once you have done it once or twice. YMMV.

I had the single sump mod done on my 530 after 200 hours but for the first 200 hours of its life I just ran Rotella T6 in both sides, changed the engine oil every 10 hours and changed both sides and a filter every 20 hours. Never had a problem. My Rekluse does squeel some with the Rotella T6 but it never hurt anything.

Edited by Enduroguy

Okay. I'll look into that mod too. Thx enduroguy

2008 KTM XC-F 450

2008 KTM EXCR 530