Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder prep for new piston ?

I have a low hour stock bore/piston 2008 230f.  I was wondering what type of cylinder prep will be necessary if i go with a std bore Wiseco 11:1 piston?  I understand that a lot will depend on cylinder condition, but I am anticipating a very low wear, un abused cylinder due to the low hours and regular maintenance.  I know that the perfect situation would be a slight overbore piston and a bore that is finished to the correct piston to bore clearance---but this adds significantly to the project cost.  Will I be ok with a light clean-up hone with a nylon brush (i have read) and then just install the piston/rings and go? This is not a racing bike, and as usual, i am just looking for a little more power.  I would also do a new cam like the 89a.   Any thoughts would be a appreciated.

You have a good choice for a HC piston.

A nylon brush/ball hone should be all you need to clean up the bore.

An 89a cam would be an excellent choice with that piston!

Web requires new rocker arms with that cam and recommends heavier valve springs.

Depends on if your planning on riding it at redline a lot? Your call.

After you have the head off, spray brake cleaner (or use gas) in the ports and check for valve leaks.

If any leaks , You will have to at least, minimum, clean the carbon and lap the valves to the seats.

Get a factory Honda shop manual and a good torque wrench, take your time and thourghly clean all parts and pieces before reassembly.

Good luck!