Sign in to follow this  

RG3 Suspension not working out

Ok so this is my first post here on ThumperTalk, but I've been having an issue lately that has been causing some concern. I bought a 2012 Kx450F at the beginning of March, and immediately I sent the suspension off the RG3 Iowa because it was initially valved for a 130lb rider and I am around 250lbs  :lol: . When I called them to give them my information (weight, riding style, etc.), they gave me an estimated return time of 1 week because of my close proximity to them. A month later, I get my suspension back back because of a back order on a heavier spring. This was all good because sometimes shipping can be a hassle, plus the suspension rode great when I got my bike back together. The problem starts here: I practiced on it for about an hour and then raced the next weekend. When I got to the race, there was absolutely NO compression in the left fork. I still raced because I needed to for point standings, and I came home and sent the suspension back immediately. I get a call from the a couple days ago saying there were "stripped parts" inside the fork (wouldn't even say what they were), and that this could only be a result of me disassembling the fork and messing with stuff, voiding any sort of warranty. Now understand that I have NO experience with fork tuning, therefore I didn't take it apart. I paid $800 the first time around, and they are saying it will be about $500-600 to put these two parts in. :banghead:  The guy I'm dealing with is trying to find the part off of another bike, but I surely don't want to put used parts on my suspension that only has >1 hour on it and was paid for! Does anyone have any advice for this? I may call RG3 headquarters in Cali, but I can't go too long being off the bike. Please help because I feel like I'm getting screwed here! Thanks!

bosch kx450 mine.jpg

The stripped parts they obviously damaged last time cost all of about $50

Sweet graphics.. kawis look good in blue.

I've had some rg3 stuff across my bench.......hate it forya

Im no guru... but even i can take threaded alum apart without destroying it. You would think a suspension ahop would be able to also. Haha... and then to send out known bad parts in a suspension component is assinine.

Ok so this is my first post here on ThumperTalk, but I've been having an issue lately that has been causing some concern. I bought a 2012 Kx450F at the beginning of March, and immediately I sent the suspension off the RG3 Iowa because it was initially valved for a 130lb rider and I am around 250lbs :lol: . When I called them to give them my information (weight, riding style, etc.), they gave me an estimated return time of 1 week because of my close proximity to them. A month later, I get my suspension back back because of a back order on a heavier spring. This was all good because sometimes shipping can be a hassle, plus the suspension rode great when I got my bike back together. The problem starts here: I practiced on it for about an hour and then raced the next weekend. When I got to the race, there was absolutely NO compression in the left fork. I still raced because I needed to for point standings, and I came home and sent the suspension back immediately. I get a call from the a couple days ago saying there were "stripped parts" inside the fork (wouldn't even say what they were), and that this could only be a result of me disassembling the fork and messing with stuff, voiding any sort of warranty. Now understand that I have NO experience with fork tuning, therefore I didn't take it apart. I paid $800 the first time around, and they are saying it will be about $500-600 to put these two parts in. :banghead: The guy I'm dealing with is trying to find the part off of another bike, but I surely don't want to put used parts on my suspension that only has >1 hour on it and was paid for! Does anyone have any advice for this? I may call RG3 headquarters in Cali, but I can't go too long being off the bike. Please help because I feel like I'm getting screwed here! Thanks!

There shafting you bro,

Don't let them shaft you.

Call the headquarters.

• Like 1

I live about 2 miles from their Anaheim, CA location.  I have had some work done by them in the past and have always had a good relationship with their tech's.  What part's are stripped?  i will say, when I had a different tuner do my forks, he made a comment that they didn't do a very good job at removing the nut that holds my shim stack on.  Apparently it has a "peen" to it to keep the nut on and when RG3 took off the nut, they did something that left barely 1-2 threads on the shaft to put the nut back on.  The nut would barley have enough thread to grab to.  

The older Kyb it was impossible to have many threads left as they only had 4 to start with

I have had obvious, serious damage to my suspension by a couple well known tuners.  Probably a less than well trained, non-caring  employee involved and I'll bet it occurs more often than we know.  

Edited by YHGEORGE

If RG3 was smart they would have someone doing damage control on forums like these. In my opinion, any of them that don't (major companies like rg3, fc, mxt, etc...) are not doing themselves any favours and probably are losing customers. Its not that hard, Race Tech has figured it out. I feel for you dude. That rg3 location is real shady.

If RG3 was smart they would have someone doing damage control on forums like these. In my opinion, any of them that don't (major companies like rg3, fc, mxt, etc...) are not doing themselves any favours and probably are losing customers. Its not that hard, Race Tech has figured it out. I feel for you dude. That rg3 location is real shady.

Race tech has figured out how to spam/annoy people here with a salesman.

Jeremy Wilkey from MXT used to post here.

and not as spammily as racetech.

I order parts from Jer, I always deal with him, hes really helpfull and highly intelligent.

RT not so much.