Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have trouble applying a decal to newer KTM swingarms?

I bought a swingarm decal to cover up a couple of big scratches on one side of my bike. They looked great until the first time I rode the bike them. One started coming off half way through the day, and one came off when I washed the bike (no pressure washer either). My question is, i know the newer KTM swingarms are machined different in the center and I guess it does not provide enough contact area for the decal so has anyone sanded those little ridges down?

Edited by macz400

Make sure the area is fully cleaned and free of oil/grease/crap. Then use a heat gun to soften the decal so it conforms to the contours.

I used contact cleaner to clean the area. I just think the small machined ridges throughout the midsection of the ktm swingarm isn't allowing the decal enough contact area.

Yea I seen somewhere where a guy sanded that midsection down for that exact reason to put a decal. Can't find it again though

Yea I seen somewhere where a guy sanded that midsection down for that exact reason to put a decal. Can't find it again though

really ?  someone went to all that trouble just for a stupid decal. unbelievable

I've had three decals for my ktm swingarms and have had zero problems with them staying put for an entire season of racing and powerwashing.  Just make sure the surface is completely clean and then wipe some rubbing alcohol over the surface to make sure the residue of any cleaner is off.  I use a heat gun as well to help the adhesive to soften and hold form better.  Just keep massaging the decal against the swingarm and it will stay.  I guess you could even wrap some tape around the swingarm to hold it overnight if you were really having problems.

Edited by motonack

i sanded down and polished flat the machine marks like the factory ktm guys do, thats why my stickers don't fall off.

i sanded down and polished flat the machine marks like the factory ktm guys do, thats why my stickers don't fall off.

Ive also heard that. 

I always let my decals sit out in the sun for a few hours to soften up. Doesnt take long in this alabama heat. I cleaned my swingarm with acetone and then used a squeegee and run it over a few times and haven't had any issues so far. Been on for about 2 months now

My decals were put on right and they are coming off after a couple months. Too much air,water, and dirt will work its way into the ridges if you ride in mud. I really hope they start making the guards for the linkage bikes and not just the pds bikes.

Edited by jcoop