2014 or 2015?

I am in the market to buy a 400SM.

I was looking at two different approaches to this, buy a used 400s and convert or buy a 400SM right off the stealership floor.

Buying used 400S means that I get someones 'sloppy seconds' and have to invest about $2k in parts just to get a Sumo.

If I buy new, I spend more but I get a virgin Sumo already built.

Of course, both would probably have to be modded.......3x3, 39 carb, pipe, and such so I consider that a wash.

Right now, I am leaning towards a new bike but I was thinking.........it is almost June and the 2015 models should be showing up in a couple of months.

My plan is to wait for the 2015 model to make its appearance, see what changes are being made, what colors, and then buy it or go after the 2014 bike.

thoughts?

Right now, I am leaning towards a new bike but I was thinking.........it is almost June and the 2015 models should be showing up in a couple of months.

My plan is to wait for the 2015 model to make its appearance, see what changes are being made,

I would wait for the 2015 model SM, I hear it is going to have FI,  a 6 speed box and BOLD NEW GRAPHICS?

• Like 4

Get a last years model. Cheaper then buying a current year model. It's brand new and never flogged. If you want brand new.

You save a lot of money buying used. Looking back after buying a new one, a used one isn't gonna be much different. It's a Drz. They are tough and cheap to fix. Save your money for mods and buy a used bike.

I would wait for the 2015 model SM, I hear it is going to have FI,  a 6 speed box and BOLD NEW GRAPHICS?

Why does everyone forget about the oil sight glass?!?!   :D

If i was in your shoes,  i too would wait to see what the 15's would look like. 

As far as new VS used,  its up to you,   i bought me DRZ used with less then 1K miles,   i put in a full MRD system,  HOT CAMS,  FCR-MX39,  converted it from S to SM properly,  added a bunch of other nice $ goodies,  and im only at $5,500 totall,  which is $1,000+ less then a new SM.  

• Like 3

Why does everyone forget about the oil sight glass?!?!   :D

If i was in your shoes,  i too would wait to see what the 15's would look like. 

As far as new VS used,  its up to you,   i bought me DRZ used with less then 1K miles,   i put in a full MRD system,  HOT CAMS,  FCR-MX39,  converted it from S to SM properly,  added a bunch of other nice $ goodies,  and im only at $5,500 totall,  which is $1,000+ less then a new SM.  

Sight Glass...????.....in the frame.???.... ?

Sight Glass...????.....in the frame.???.... ?

Hmm...  i see what you are saying/asking,  im sure it can be done. 

starting the bike for a few minutes,  taking out the dip stick and wiping it off,  then inserting it and checking the oil level is a hassle for sure,  sight glass you look for a sec and you know youre good. 

• Like 1

As for what model .. Shoot .. Buy a low mile example and get some graphics , now you have the 2020 DRZ

bin-freaking-go 

there is no difference between the first year "omgithazz17"wheels" drz and next years. 

i take that back, the numbers on the title will be different. 

converting an S to SM doesn't cost "$2000" or anywhere near it, unless you hand your checkbook to someone else to do it. 

look around, their is likely someone trying to pawn off a drz with lots of goodies on it already for the $2000-3000 range near you. 

I think there's a greater chance for a 2015 Honda CRF450L than a "new and improved" 2015 DRZ...  And I'd totally trade my DRZ in for a Fuel Injected, 6-speed CRF450L if Honda did release one ?  That being said, don't forget to look for leftover older but new DRZs on the showroom floor. I picked up a brand new 2012 model for $5200 OTD in a market area where "good used" drzs were selling for close to $4k or more.

Edited by plankk

Thanks for all the advice!!!!

I will keep an eye out for a fairly new used bike.

I guess Craigs List and CycleTrader are going to be my best bets.

For those of you in the DFW area, who is the shiznit for bike gear?

I like Motoliberty myself.

Use one of the Craigslist search engines like http://www.searchtempest.com/ and expand your searches outside of DFW a little. You would be surprised what pops up in the outlying areas like Abilene, Austin, Wichita Falls; etc. I scored my E model out of Springtown for a very good deal because nobody was willing to drive out to see the bike, was listed for weeks and the guy had lots of callers but I was first to go look at it - he was very willing to comedown on price once I was standing there with a fist full of 100's.

As for DFW gear Motoliberty prolly has the best high end gear selections but dont overlook Bates #2 Cycle Shop (http://www.bates2.net/)  Its a hole in the wall but those guys will bend over backwards for you. They are probably the most dirt/dual sport focused shop in the area. I try to support them when I can. 

Edited by ROMAD

• 3 months later...

Looking at 150ron's post on new bikes.....looks like you nailed it with the "Bold New Graphics"...............?   We're all still holding or breath on the other stuff.  ?

• Like 1