Sign in to follow this  

Drz not starting?! Please help!

I bought a 2000 drz 400 and it won't start. The guy said he was riding it when it all the sudden lost power and bogged down to a stop. I've cleaned the carb so none of the jets are clogged and I put a new spark plug in and it still won't budge. It sounds like it cranks over and you can hear the exhaust go bup bup bup lol. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Here is a link to a video of what it sounds like.

Did you change the oil to look for metal chunks/shavings? Do you have spark? Might of eaten the stator.

Just watched the video, that seems to spin over really fast, almost like you have no compression

• Like 1

I think you will have to start with a valve clearance check and a leak down, compression test.

Just watched the video, that seems to spin over really fast, almost like you have no compression

That was my thoughts.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies I will definitely take it to my dads sometime this week to check the valves. He has all the right tools.

thats what i was thinking the same thing

yeah i would definitly check the valves. inspect that head whike your at it. it cranks like there is no compression at all...

Edited by fuentes52

So I just checked all the valves they were good and in spec. But we did a compression check and it was at 90psi when the specs say it should be at 135psi. Any ideals on this!

Not to take this away from the current debugging ideas but I think I'd also consider the stator.  Since the previous owner indicated that it lost power while being ridden (I know, a lot of interpretation from the text), that would be indicative of the stator failing.  A new battery would spin the DRZ pretty quickly.  The FAQ's have notes on how to test the stator.

:ride:

• Like 1

perform a leak down test, if the numbers are good... then I agree, check the stator out

We'll the manual said it's supposed to be 135psi

The DRZ is equipped with an auto decompression cam.  A regular compression test wouldn't be accurate unless you disabled it.  A leak down test will give you a better idea on the health of the top end.

Oh okay I see what your saying. I think I'm just gonna have to take a look at the piston tomorrow and see what it looks like.

• Like 1

you know, if you had only sent off your oil to blackstone to have it analyzed they could have told you exactly what the problem was.

(just trying to make you laugh for a minute as a distraction from the mess on your hands right now) ;-)