Sign in to follow this  

Picked up 2005 DRZ400 - fuel leak and idling issues,

Hey all. Sold the DR650 and skipped over the Husaberg, and landed on a 2005 DRZ400 which i picked up today. 4900 miles, looks barely ridden- has a yoshi pipe and a 434 bigbore kit on it. Weeee!

however, has been sitting up for a while- since September if I recall what the PO said, so like usual: dead battery, and running issues. If i choke it fully, it will start and rev high, but will die as soon as i open throttle or take it off choke. I'm assuming the carb is dirty, but any pointers here otherwise would be good.

It also has a fuel leak which we thought was because the hoses were not clamped, but I isolated it to the elbow on the petcock. It was slow but very noticeable- maybe a drip every 30 seconds, and if you wiped around the elbow, it would saturate again pretty instantly.

Here's a few questions:

• What's a good DRZ carb cleaning tutorial? want to make sure im tearing into it properly.
  • On the fuel elbow, there was a bit of clear substance that flaked off which i assume was gasket- what was this, exactly? could it be the source of my fuel leak? I pulled the elbow completely out, which seems odd. Any tips here?
  • What fuel grade is good to run in the DRZ?

Anything else you'd like to add would be appreciated! Thanks for any input!

Cynictis , congrats on the new bike mate . If the bike has sat for a long time , then the fuel has evaporated in the carb and the residue has blocked the internals/jets . You will have to strip it and clean it , make sure you use compressed air to clean all of the passageways , especially the pilot circuit . That is the reason for your starting problems , it is a symptom of a blocked circuit when the bike will only run on choke . There are a few tutorials on youtube , type in DRZ400 3x3 mod and check that out , it shows the stripping of the carb and rejetting and just search through the other posts as there is another on there about removing and cleaning . If you still have the vacuum operated tap on the fuel tank , then the better option is to replace it , most people use a raptor petcock . You can rebuild it but you have to buy similar parts from different bikes as suzuki doesnt offer a kit . In regards to the fuel grade , if the previous owner raised the compression with the big bore , you will have to use a higher octane . I would get it running and try some different fuels and see , if it pings then go up in the octane till it doesnt , best of luck , greg

• Like 2

Looked up the 3x3 mod - good stuff! though, I opened up my carb and it said there was supposed to be an O-ring up top in the "dead spot" when opening up the slide- which on mine, there wasnt  :foul: crap..

Anyone have a parts fiche available for the 2005? This isn't an SM, but the dual-sport version with a Mikuni carb...