Sign in to follow this  

Drz400E fcr carb on Drz400sm

Hi I recently purchased a keihin 39mm fcr carb off of a 2003 Drz400E and I would like to put it on my 2006 Drz400sm. I've seen posts about putting the thumper talk fcr kits on but I wasn't sure if there are any differences or modifications that I need to know about and I'm not sure if I should leave the coast enricher on the fcr carb or if I should take it off. So If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400449293.864252.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400449317.663523.jpg

Remove the CE and connect the 2 nipples with a hose.  Do not remove the pilot air jet.  Use the E model parts to adapt the FCR carb to your SM.

Plus one on what noble said , also if you have the std fuel tap you will need to get a vacuum nipple for the intake port to operate the fuel tap , greg

Do you know the history of the carb?  Used carbs are a gamble, as I found out the hard way when I bought an FCR39 from a YZ400F that didn't work out so well.  The carb you have is 11 years old now so it's very likely that some of the gaskets and o-rings will need to be replaced.  I would suggest picking up an FCR rebuild kit, it will contain all of the gaskets, o-rings, and other little parts to make sure the carb is in top working order.  Also, go through the carb and make sure that all the correct jets are in it and that they are clean.  You will also need the carb to intake boot and clamp.  There are 2 ways you can go about the back of the carb, you can either get an E airboot or you can get an adapter for the carb that will connect to the stock S airboot.  If you take the E airboot route, you will need the clamp too.  If you are running the stock S petcock, I would suggest getting part 13685-29F00 OEM Suzuki Vacuum Port Nipple so that you can use the stock petcock correctly.  Good luck!

If you use the connector that connects to the stock air boot like lowercase mentioned ( http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/021_216_su.html ) you will no longer be able to connect the two nipples with a piece of hose because that connector does not have one, so you will need to cap off the one nipple and then replace the pilot air jet with a size 100.

I'm pretty sure I will go with the E model boot and vacuum nipple. Also I bought the carb from my brother-in-law and he took it off a running bike that he was parting out so it should be good but do you think I should rebuild it anyway just to be safe? Also should I hook up the TPS or leave it unhooked? And where would be the best place to buy the parts from?

If the carb has a matching plug for the TPS , then hook it up , if not dont bother , you wont be able to tell any difference ,greg

Do you know the history of the carb?  Used carbs are a gamble, as I found out the hard way when I bought an FCR39 from a YZ400F that didn't work out so well.  The carb you have is 11 years old now so it's very likely that some of the gaskets and o-rings will need to be replaced.  I would suggest picking up an FCR rebuild kit, it will contain all of the gaskets, o-rings, and other little parts to make sure the carb is in top working order.  Also, go through the carb and make sure that all the correct jets are in it and that they are clean.  You will also need the carb to intake boot and clamp.  There are 2 ways you can go about the back of the carb, you can either get an E airboot or you can get an adapter for the carb that will connect to the stock S airboot.  If you take the E airboot route, you will need the clamp too.  If you are running the stock S petcock, I would suggest getting part 13685-29F00 OEM Suzuki Vacuum Port Nipple so that you can use the stock petcock correctly.  Good luck!

Don't mean to wake the dead here, but I have a question.

If I already have the E Intake Manifold: Suzuki p/n 13111-29F00, the E manifold clamp, and the vacuum port nipple, would I also need this? <http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/021_216_su.html>  Or do the aforementioned parts make the part in that link unnecessary? 

Thanks for any input!

You also need a airbox to carb boot for the e model or buy the s/sm model bel mouth adapter from sudco.com or like the one from jets r us

Edited by mickeydee
  • Like 1

You also need a airbox to carb boot for the e model or buy the s/sm model bel mouth adapter from sudco.com or like the one from jets r us

Cool.  So you are saying yes, I will also need that part that I put the link to in the previous post, correct?

Yes, you will need that part in the link if your going to use the stock s/sm airboot

The S/SM air cleaner connector for the stock 36mm Mikuni is bigger than the one used for the E with FCR Keihin.  So when fitting a FCR to a S or SM, you need the E boot that fits the FCR carb or an adaptor for the FCR carb to fit the S/SM boot - Your choice.