Sign in to follow this  

Rather Dirty DRZ400E Cleaning help?

So i recently got my hands on a 2005 DRZ400E with SM wheels and well quite frankly the bike has seen better days, theres dirt and filth everywhere. my question is what is the "best" method of cleaning the wiring and "water sensitive" parts without damaging them? may sound silly but i would rather ask for some opinions of others before going ahaed and possibly ruining the electric circuit throughout my bike haha. any help would be grand :)

Soap and water and a small brush.  An old tooth brush works well for a lot of things.  There are various brands of soap type cleaners available here. I have no idea what is available to you.

If its that bad , Id just it it with Suzuki clean, and pressure wash, ride it dry, then take apart every electrical connector and hit it with wd40, and do your suspension regreasing and ect.

Edited by Spud786

Spray some degreaser on it .. Let it soak in .. Use a pressure washer ( not too close on bearings etc )

Some degreaser available REALLY gets the crud off .

It will leave some residue on your brakes , so beware ,

Thanks for the help, ill try these methods when i have some spare time :) ill probably get around to doing it when i take the fuel tank and fairings off so i can get to my carb for a 33bhp restriction kit >.<

So i recently got my hands on a 2005 DRZ400E with SM wheels and well quite frankly the bike has seen better days, theres dirt and filth everywhere. my question is what is the "best" method of cleaning the wiring and "water sensitive" parts without damaging them? may sound silly but i would rather ask for some opinions of others before going ahaed and possibly ruining the electric circuit throughout my bike haha. any help would be grand :)

don't. the only thing the electrics connections need is occasional appplication of dialectric grease. 'cleaning' the connectors exterior with chemicals can weaken them, or start corrosion inside. 

the general rule for bikes is no pressure washer, just a brush and the water hose. the harder you spray water, the deeper it goes. i've seen quite a few shiny bikes that had worn out bearings because of their cleanliness. ;-)

Yeah mate its ok to high pressure wash your bike, just make sure that you don't get any water in the carb.

• Like 1

Look ... I have been using pressure washers for years and years , never had a problem ... it's like any tool . Use it incorrectly and it does damage .

he's asking about pressure washing and electrics in the same question. doesn't take much to misinterpret the responses as "it's ok to pressure wash everything". 

you know better, but everyone else doesn't. 

• Like 1

I like to use a Toro electric leaf blower with concentrator nozzle to "pressure dry" my bike after washing. It works particularly well on blasting the water out of the chain.  A little OCD I suppose, but it really does get the water out of the nooks and crannies very well!

I have a Snap On electric pressure washer.  It is perfect for bike use, not nearly as strong as a gas powered one, but strong enough you still have to be careful with it.  I avoid using the super pencil beam concentrated setting and use a wider and softer fan setting instead.  Uses less water than a hose too!

Edited by Duken4evr
  • Like 1

simple green and a hose

dont spray bearings, don't spray electrical bits, use a wet rag on those.

I leave mine running and jet wash it. Just watch that you don't jet Into the carb and electrics. Although they are relatively designed to get wet and take a beating.

I don't know how to clean the engine though. Mine is brown and stained.

I don't mind though. I ride my bike. Not like some of the show and shiners on here.

Its not so much as the bikes cleanliness, its the fact that the previous owner either A) got it bogged in dirt and thrashed it to get it out thus coating all internals (under the seat, under fuel tank, in battery compartment) with a load of dirt or B) went for a deep river crossing and then into dry light dirt that caked the bike on the internals. So currently i have a very clean, or so i think clean external but all internals like wiring etc is caked in dirt