Sign in to follow this  

Reuse chain?

How do you know when your chain needs replacing?  Can you use a "old" chain on a new sprocket?

A used chain is stretched and will not mesh with the teeth of the sprockets properly; causing excessive sprocket wear.

• Like 2

Chains are cheap and I always replace them when I put new sprockets on. If the old one is in semi good condition I save it for and emergency chain to get me out of somewhere if the new one breaks.

• Like 1

How do you know when your chain needs replacing? Can you use a "old" chain on a new sprocket?

Some guys like an actual spec so I found this in my manual for you. This is for a 2013 kx450f (520 chain).

"Tighten the chain either by using the chain adjusters or by hanging a 10 kg (22lb) weight on the chain. Measure the 20-link length on a straight part of the chain from the center of the 1st pin to the center of the 21st pin. If the chain exceeds the service limit, the chain should be replaced.

Standard limits are: 317.5 - 318.2mm (12.50 - 12.53 in)

Service limits are: 323 mm (12.7 in)

Hope this helps.

Wow good info.  I bought a new sprocket and chain anyways.  went up 1 tooth in the rear, I like it.