Sign in to follow this  

2000 YZ250 Cutting out on hillclimbs

Hey guys! Long time, no see. So I will make this post short:

Today i was hitting some big hillclimbs in russelton, PA. (youtube video of them here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOK_A_w6OUE and me doing it on this bike) Well, today I hit this climb about 7/8 times. The 6th, 7th attempts ended up with my bike cutting out (fuel starvation) and me on the ground. This is my current jetting: 45 Pilot, 175 Main, 2nd clip. I am running Super M at 32:1. My bike only cut out near the top of the hill, and i am WOT 3rd gear the entire way up. My thoughts were.. float height? No. Still in spec. Jetting is not lean, as I did a plug chop test at WOT. Nice golden brown, as she should be. I would say i would have been at WOT for about 5/6 seconds before this would happen. Also, being on a hill... I figured it has to be fuel level. I cleaned the carb out, checked all of the jets for clogs, debris, and what not. It's all clean and everything is exactly how it should be. What else could cause this? The bike went up the hill fine all of the other attempts... very confused. 

maybe:

-petcock filter?

-Gas cap/vent hose?

-main was getting plugged by some little piece that could have come out when I cleaned it?

Let me know guys, thank you.

P.S. It is not a crank seal, I replaced them not 3 months ago. 

I would try switching to a hose for the gas tank vent. I've heard those little caps can get clogged up pretty easy. 

• Like 1

I would try switching to a hose for the gas tank vent. I've heard those little caps can get clogged up pretty easy. 

I spoke to IMS a few weeks ago, and asked if they sell them. His reply "The owner doesn't believe in those things"

Ive had bikes seize up slightly and still run right after. Might take the pipe off and check your piston/cyl walls.

Oh it's certainly not seized. I've had bikes seize and it's a completely different feel. This is 100% fuel related, I just don't get what the issue is. Because whenever it does start bogging, if I hit a bump it's right back at it. I'm going to open the floats about 1mm or so and see what happens. I would agree with it being seized if it was consistent, but it only happens... 1/5 climbs.

My 1999 does have the same drama it's all on stock jets,float height ,3rd needle clip and yer flys like the wind on flat ground all day but an incline it bogs out then pull the clutch in and wait for it to sort it self out but when it comes back it idles real high for like a few seconds and sounds lean as shit then after that roll back down and it's normal again now I'm not sure but it has a fuel cut solinoid but doesn't have the TPS like later models wether the fuel cut has something to do with it or not it's truly got me stuffed

dying and then high idle is 100‰ fuel related. You are twisting the throttle for all it's got, and the floatbowl is emptying out faster than it can refill, and the climb angle isn't helping.