Sign in to follow this  

Twin cylinder dirt bike?

How come dirt bike only comes in single cylinder and not twin or more?

Edited by Honda_Power

weight

Can't be that simple...... if that's the case then they should of never developed a 4 stroker.  I'm talking when 2 strokes were not yet soo heavily critisized for pollution, yet they still came out with the 4t.

Edited by Honda_Power

Because the AMA rules say that in order to race it must be a single cylinder. I think Aprilla made a v-twin 450 a few years back.

they did and it was a real turd.  really there's no reason for a twin. when a single cylinder makes more power than most folks can use why would you complicate things by adding another. 

Because the AMA rules say that in order to race it must be a single cylinder.

big deal. most folks buying bikes have no intention of racing ama sanctioned events.

big deal. most folks buying bikes have no intention of racing ama sanctioned events.

Yea but the companies making the bikes advertise buy having professional race teams...

• Like 1

Yea but the companies making the bikes advertise buy having professional race teams...

yeah, that's just the big joke to me though. i mean i love watching sx and mx races but i ride offroad. i would never consider how villopoto or reed finish in a race or season when i'm considering what bike to ride. so yeah, i see why they do it. i just don't really care. going back to the why no twin question there's just no need for it. there's is plenty of power to be had, even at the top level, from a single. no need for a twin. if the big boys really could go faster and dominate do to having a twin cylinder motor then the manufacturers would put pressure on the ama to change the rules just like they did when they decided they wanted to make 4t's and get rid of the smokers. make the rules to favor the bikes the manufacturers want to sell. without manufacturer support there really is no ama. just my .02

How come dirt bike only comes in single cylinder and not twin or more?

Because then they would have to add a 6th gear!

or

weight,  cost,  size,  width,  complexity,  other than that -  a great idea!

Why not teach yourself a little motorcycle history -  google up Triumph Trophy Trials

Edited by carl johansson
  • Like 2

Apprilia RXV 450 and 550 v-twins.

tech_04.jpg

7-26-05-AM-145.jpg

Powerful (55 hp from the 450, 70ish from the 550) but heavy (270 pounds), and the power was too violent from the 550 in stock tune.

They were only made from 2006-2007 if memory serves me.

• Like 3

According to you every ounce counts. Even though you dont have any seat time.

Up until recently there were new Prillers to be had on ebay still. Cool bike, if I had the cash I would have picked one up to hang on to for the long term. They make killer supermotos as well. 

they did and it was a real turd.  really there's no reason for a twin. when a single cylinder makes more power than most folks can use why would you complicate things by adding another. 

Thats a bit harsh, they did have problems (that dedicated owners were able to work through) 

They were ok for open trails AFAIK.

Apprilia RXV 450 and 550 v-twins.

Powerful (55 hp from the 450, 70ish from the 550) but heavy (270 pounds), and the power was too violent from the 550 in stock tune.

They were only made from 2006-2007 if memory serves me.

I think they made them for a bit longer than that. My mate has a 550 and you are 100% right about how useful it is on the dirt, the throttle was a hair trigger.

It does however come into its own as a supermoto.

Thats a bit harsh, they did have problems (that dedicated owners were able to work through) 

They were ok for open trails AFAIK.

I think they made them for a bit longer than that. My mate has a 550 and you are 100% right about how useful it is on the dirt, the throttle was a hair trigger.

It does however come into its own as a supermoto.

They may have been made for a year or two more, but that's the only years they were available here in the States. And since I'm an American, I think the world revolves around us, so if they weren't sold here they may as well not have been made. Like your RSV...:p   :lol:

I had the chance to ride the 450 Aprillia at a track here a few years ago.E" never really got to grips with it, it really felt like it was front end heavy and going into corners it would wash out a lot.

The power was brutal though.

Can't be that simple...... if that's the case then they should of never developed a 4 stroker. I'm talking when 2 strokes were not yet soo heavily critisized for pollution, yet they still came out with the 4t.

You asked, we reply. The answer is complexity and weight. The gains would be offset by the weight.

A quad frame has the space for a twin engine, like the Banshee 350. Try stuffing two motors in a bike frame and you'll see why it's not practical.