Sign in to follow this  

98 DR650 front brake seizure?!?

Hi all I'm new here just bought my first bike (DR650) with 11,500 miles, changed the oil as soon as I got it and it has a performance exhaust pipe on it. Anyways...to the point, this morning the front brake locked up on me and the rotor got extremely hot. I removed the cap on the brake reservoir and bleed the brakes a little on the bleeder. The wheel is free now but is it ok to drive? Do I need to replace anything?

Thanks

Yes, you're probably going to have to rebuild that caliper - at the least clean the slider pins and possibly clear the fluid return port in the master cylinder. Otherwise it will happen again.

Agree with TN2wheeler. The system needs a cleaning and it's not hard to do. Leave the system hooked up, and take the bolts out that hold the caliper in place over the disk. Now gently start working the brake lever to push the piston out of the caliper with its own hydraulic pressure. RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO YANK ON IT WITH PLIERS, You'll score the piston. If it gets stuck as it's coming out, use a c clamp positioned around the caliper to press it back in, then repeat. The piston will eventually complete its travel and pop out. Take the banjo bolt out at the caliper. Get ALL of the old fluid out of the entire system. You'll notice gunk that looks like dried maple syrup.... Used to be brake fluid. Clean and reassemble. Hook everything back up and put the caliper back where it belongs, over the disk. I put a length of clear tubing over the nipple on the bleeder nut so I can catch fluid as I'm bleeding the brakes. Clear tube also let's you see color and air bubbles real well.

Ok thanks guys....so far I've rebuilt the caliper, continued to seize so I rebuilt the master cylinder,hoping that would work. The brake isn't as bad as it was but it is still grabbing while I'm riding! I'm out of ideas, do you have any?

With the lid of the master cylinder you should be able to see fluid return through the tiny, tiny return hole when you really is the brake. If not it's still blocked. They are very difficult to clear because the orifice is so small.

Not sure how old your bike is but after a number of years corrosion builds up in the grooves of the seals in the calliper which pushes the seal out against the piston causing binding.

Point being the grooves need carefully cleaning when replacing the seals or your brakes will still stick!

- Steve.