Ktm vs honda

Hi guys, i have saved money and sold my street bike to buy a dirt bike. And i have found 2 great deals.

The first one is a 2000 cr125 in showroom condition, its unbelievable the condition of that 14 year old bike. I saw it this weekend and i reded it and my first thought was like "my chinese bike can pull more than this crap" but thats because ive had no experience with 2 stroke bikes, the guy selling it jumped in the bike and told me you have to do it like this..... The guy flew away like a bullet, i couldnt believe it. I told the guy i was going to think it for a week. Also the engine of the cr was completely rebuild 2 weeks ago with wiseco parts.

And then

I found this beautiful ktm 125 2004 at the same price of the cr and im going to see it the next weekend but im no experienced dirt rider soo....

If the condition of the ktm is good which one should i buy?

Heres some pics of the bikes

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Buy the Honda! 2000 is a bit down on power but aren't all 125's just ring it's neck haha. Plus a rebuild two weeks ago?? As long as he has receipts to verify the work your good to go!!!! Ive heard older ktms arent that great, but I've never owned a ktm soo I can't really vouch for them... Someone else is bound to chime in!

Yes, beau is right. Neither of these bikes are showroom condition or even near. Both have dented pipes. And aren't super super "clean" but def pretty good for 10 year old bikes What's the recent maintenance on the ktm? Is the ktm an sx, xc, or exc?

Well after seeing my friends bike for me that cr was showroom and i was really impresed with the age of the bike. I know tha ktm is not an exc but ill have to ask to the owner if the transmition is wide or close ratio to know if its sx or xc.

Im leanning more for the ktm side because ive heard the cr 125 is the worst 125 power wise...

The KTM is an SX and I'd take it over the CR. 2004 was a good year for the KTM 125. Powerfull motor and the suspension and handling were right there with the Japanese 125s.

Actually im pretty sure that the sx is a 2003 model bought in 2004 because of the back plastics, but the papers says its 2004, guess ill have to check the vin number

Neither one of those bikes are showroom dented pipes, worn out tires, faded plastics and that's just what i see in a bad picture . Don't jump into it and do your research .

Thanks for the video, it was very informative. I did checked well the cr and the it wasnt leaking on the suspension or anywhere else, about the plastics i actually before checking the bike hoped that the graphics where in bad condition so i can make a custom one without hesitation. Of course the tires are in bad condition but already said to the guy that he' will have to discount me the proce of a new pair of tires.

Thanks for the video, it was very informative. I did checked well the cr and the it wasnt leaking on the suspension or anywhere else, about the plastics i actually before checking the bike hoped that the graphics where in bad condition so i can make a custom one without hesitation. Of course the tires are in bad condition but already said to the guy that he' will have to discount me the proce of a new pair of tires.

The rear plastics on the KTM suggest it is a older model, so definitely check the VIN and find out, not that it changes a lot in my opinion.

The 2000 hondas were the early aluminium frame, and aren't they a 5 speed?

I'd take the KTM for sure.

He is buying bikes in a different market, US prices will be useless for letting him know what a good deal is or not, as supply and demand are different.

What kinda money we talking ?If you don't mind me asking ?

The equivalent in $ would be 800-1000$

• Like 1

I'd rate that as pretty good, even from what I've seen of US prices.

I'd buy either of those for 1K, provided they don't need work, perhaps even if they do.

Test them both Joc, buy whatever feels best. 

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

I'd rate that as pretty good, even from what I've seen of US prices.

I'd buy either of those for 1K, provided they don't need work, perhaps even if they do.

Test them both Joc, buy whatever feels best. 

Yea thats a good price in my area i was going to say no more than 1,100 . I payed 1,700 for my sons 03' cr125 but it was really nice. It was being raced at the time so i knew maintenance was being done and he also provided receipts with a box full of the old engine parts with the bike. So i knew it had been taken proper care of. 

• Like 1

Thats fair money 800 would be better, the new pipe will cost you 200 ? I agree with chooken take compression tester and a buddy that knows bikes, between two of you , you shouldn't miss much . Just keep in mind the more you can get him to come down on price the more you can spend to make it right and yours. 

• Like 1