Sign in to follow this  

78 dt 175 carb ?

Hey everyone i have a 78 dt 175 with issues the bike starts fairly easy but won't idle right etc. this leads me to believe I have a carb problem but I can't figure out what kind is on my bike ? It's a mikuni vm something specs say it's supposed to be 24 ss but I've looked at pics and vids of vm24ss's it doesn't look like mine. If someone could help me out it would be great I think I'm close to getting this bad boy running and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out. Here are some pics ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400456330.648272.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400456343.014323.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400456355.000014.jpg

I have a '74 DT125. Check to make sure you still have an air screw, I could watch mine unscrew itself at idle because of how much the bike vibrates. I put some loctite on it and now it's fine. I would bet yours has maybe fallen out. That or your pilot jet is plugged up or something. 

Your carb is different then mine but it looks like that hole at a 45 degree angle to the right of the choke is where your air screw would be. 

Edited by Muffintop
  • Like 1

Thank you but the airscrew is in there the I had to drill the old one out because the previous own stripped it out down the tube however I think I've discovered the culprit, and maybe someone can confirm or deny this thinking. I have the auto lube disconnect because I don't have the resivoir that supposed to be with the bike. So I realized that the pump gets connected to the carb and because mines dissconected there's nothing in that hole so I think it might just be sucking air through that hole causing it to lean out.

• Like 1

Guys I can't figure it out nothing seems to change the way this bike runs. I'm thinking now it could be a spark issue. Something with the cdi maybe?

the carbs on this bike have special jets that i have only found thru yammi........only really available jet is the main......it has a vent on the side for the autolube function

a 1978 DT175 was my 1st bike...........bought it new when i was in high school