Sign in to follow this  

where is my oil going?

Hi guys I have a 99 xr600 and every time I go for a ride and ride hard when I check my oil after the ride it is not even on the dip stick? The bike only has 9000km and no oil leaks where is it going?

What can I do to fix this?

Don't know..I guess either out the bottom engine breather or out the exhaust..If you're using that much oil due to bad rings or the like I'd expect you'd be seeing total clouds of blue smoke. Get a mate to ride behind you for a while and see if he can see any smoke..If no then it must be going out the bottom breather..Dunno what really causes that..All that should really come out of there on a normal engine is air..I suspect you'd need a rebore and new piston and rings to fix whatever's up with your bike.

You do we assume know how to check the oil correctly on an XR/XL???..It's of course done as soon as you

shut down an already hot motor..Not done when the motors cold or half warm,,Hot..ie as soon as you turn it

off after say a ten minute ride.

Edited by Horri

Course it may be possible that the oil pump check valve is somehow faulty and all the oils draining into the motor

too quickly. Do an oil change on it and measure what's in the container..If you have roughly 2 litres in the icecream

container or whatever you use then it means to me that the check valve isn't doing it's job properly..New one is required.

It's inside the oil pump inside the clutch cover..Run the bike for ten minutes then drop the oil..Oil changes are supposed to

be done when the bikes hot so the oil is less viscous and flows out fast like water not tar..

Of course you drain both the motor and the front frame to rid the bike of 90% of the oil..the other ten never comes out

unless you strip the bike down for a rebuild.

Edited by Horri

Sorry for taking a while I dropped the oil and only got 1.6l

The bike had only done 300km since I toped it up doesn't smoke and its not coming out the breather as I extended it and put a filter on the end so unless it evaporating it not going out there?

Whata going on???

There is only one valve in the pump and it is high oil ptessure relieve valve . When the motor has been sitting for some time the oil starts to drain from the frame into the engine. How quickly will this happen depend on the oil pump wear and the position of the rotors when the engine stops. Follow the oil level checking procedure for xr engines and this is how you know if you are burning oil.

i had topped the oil up before a 300km ride which is about 1.8l in total then after the ride it only had 1.6

is the oil level procedure just to let it warm up before checking

Would adding an oil cooler help reduce oil loss by haveing more oil?

Would adding an oil cooler help reduce oil loss by haveing more oil?

Oil checking procedure has been discussed numerous times. You need to ride the bike a bit to make possible for the oil from the tranny to be pumped to the frame. Oil cooler will drop the temps aprox.20 degrees C, but how much will this reduce oil loss through evaporation is hard to tell. 200ml for 300km does not seem like hell of alot especially if revving the engine. Be aware theat some of the oil will remain in the oil filter and trannsmision even if you drain from both plugs. It it is possible for it to be burned without you noticing. Are you using synthetic oil?

I thought that 200ml was heaps since it was below the dip stick altogether, wont it being that low cause engine damage?

I was using motul but changed to castrol to see if it made any difference

So im assuming that my oil is evaporating out the breather surely some one has come upwith a way to fix this??? Oil cooler? Catch can? One way air valves? Anything?

Simply put, there are only two ways oil can leave an engine.

1. Onto the ground

2. Out the tail pipe.

If its not leaking and there isnt liquid oil coming out of your breather then it is being burned and spit out as exhaust. This can be caused by bad rings or bad valve seals. Either way probably not good. So its not smoking at all but after a 300km ride it doesnt register on the dipstick immediatly after shut down?

So if my valves are a bit out it could affect it

When I checked the oil it was after I had let it sit overnight the warmes it up for 10min

Saying that the valves "are a bit out" usually is referring to valve adjustment. What I am talking about are your valve seals. These are the rubber seals that keep oil from sliding down the valve stems and getting into the combustion chamber. If the seals are bad, oil gets into the cylinder, is burned and spit out in the exhaust. This usually causes noticeable blue smoke.

To check the oil, go for a ride until the bike is fully warm. As soon as you shut the bike off check the oil. This way you know oil hasn't had time to drain down out of the frame.

Mine uses this much after a hard ride. Has heaps of comp and doesn't blow any smoke. I think its just a low tension oil ring.

I have a 630 wiesco piston and hotcams camshaft. Big fin head etc. Just live with it. Keep an eye on oil level before every ride.

I top mine up after a ride so it already at temp.