Sign in to follow this  

Not Transferred & Lost Title! (Washington State) HELP ME!

So about 1 year ago I bought a crf230f. The guy gave me the title for it but I never transfered it to my name. I want to sell the bike, so I started looking for the title last week, but no luck. It's lost!

So the title is in the other guy's name, and I have no idea where it is (could be in the dump for all I know.)  :banghead:

Is there any way I can get myself a new title for it in my name? I read on some other forums that the police station can run the VIN number and see if it has been reported as stolen, and if it hasn't then the DMV (or DOL, I don't remember which one) can issue me a new title in my name. But i'm not positive if that's exactly how it would work. Also the person didn't live in Washington State so it could be different here than there?

So if you know how that process works please inform me! :D

And worst case scenario, how much could I sell my 230 for if I didn't have a title? I was planning on $1,800. Is the no title really going to gouge the price?

Thanks in advance guys. Really need help on this one!  :cry:

So about 1 year ago I bought a crf230f. The guy gave me the title for it but I never transfered it to my name. I want to sell the bike, so I started looking for the title last week, but no luck. It's lost!

So the title is in the other guy's name, and I have no idea where it is (could be in the dump for all I know.)  :banghead:

Is there any way I can get myself a new title for it in my name? I read on some other forums that the police station can run the VIN number and see if it has been reported as stolen, and if it hasn't then the DMV (or DOL, I don't remember which one) can issue me a new title in my name. But i'm not positive if that's exactly how it would work. Also the person didn't live in Washington State so it could be different here than there?

So if you know how that process works please inform me! :D

And worst case scenario, how much could I sell my 230 for if I didn't have a title? I was planning on $1,800. Is the no title really going to gouge the price?

Thanks in advance guys. Really need help on this one!  :cry:

Here in CA, what you do when you don't have a title is simply take the bike to DMV and they do something called a "verification" on the bike. They check out the VIN, go to their computers, make sure it isn't stolen, then give you paperwork to fill out. What you'll need though is the signature of the dude that sold it to you. Most just leave DMV, go home, have someone else sign it and go back to DMV the next day and finalize everything. You get your title in a week, then you're golden. Far as getting a lower price without title, that happens too. I don't like buying bikes without titles, not because it's a hassle to work out the paperwork, but because sometimes you don't know if you're getting a stolen bike. If you're upfront with the guy, and he goes to your house to buy it, then it's not like you're hiding anything, and the guy could still do the same thing at DMV and this time you sign. That's why it's important to take care of your paperwork as soon as you have it in your hands. good luck. :devil:

I'm assuming that you don't have the previous owner's contact information?

You'll most likely need to take the VIN to your DMV and have them run a title search so you can contact the previous owner and have them apply for lost title. You can take that form back to DMV and they can then issue the title to you.

Washington bikes need titles in order to get state lands riding tags. It makes a bike pretty worthless without one. Here in Oregon it's not a big deal because we get the trail sticker with no documentation at all.

• Like 1

Your easiest route is getting ahold  of the  previous owner and ask him to sign a lost title affidavit (there is an actual form for this). Other than that you have to go through a process with  licensing that involves getting the bike inspected by WSP. You won't get a title for three years, but you will be able to register it. You can still sell it and the next owner will get the title when the time is up. Generally not having a title hurts resale value, but if you have at least started the process and have some sort of official paperwork to go with the bike it will be worth a little more. You will need to call or go in to your local vehicle licensing office to get the appropriate forms and they  can fill you in on the entire process.

You may  be able to get the instructions and print the forms from the state website, they have quite a bit online these days.

• Like 2

If you can contact the prior owner it is just a matter of sending them an Affidavit of Loss of Title/ Release of Interest form (available on the DOL website) to have notorized.  That, along with a Bill of Sale and you are golden. 

The previous owner more than likely (if he was smart) submitted the release of interest. You can contact the police to determine if it has been released to you. If so, you can probably get the previous owner's contact information and have him sign the Affidavit of Loss over to you, or you can both go to the DOL and transfer there.

I can tell you I had a 230f stolen quite a few years back, check the vin with the do l to make sure that last title was valid and go from there. Some days I wonder where my little 230 is.

You have a real mess going here. The out of state previous "lost" title complicates things greatly. WA DOL will not process a Affidavit of Loss on a out of state title. Affidavit of Loss is for a WA issued title. Getting a title easily will either involve many shades of gray, or be a process of getting the previous owner to sign and notarize the proper documents to release interest in the original state that are accepted by your chosen WA DOL agent. 

Edited by trailwhale

You have a real mess going here. The out of state previous "lost" title complicates things greatly. WA DOL will not process a Affidavit of Loss on a out of state title. Affidavit of Loss is for a WA issued title. Getting a title easily will either involve many shades of gray, or be a process of getting the previous owner to sign and notarize the proper documents to release interest in the original state that are accepted by your chosen WA DOL agent. 

That's not accurate. I bought a boat from someone who hadn't transferred the title from the previous Oregon owners, and didn't have the title anymore. I had to do a runaround, but the short story is: I got a notarized release of interest from the Oregon  PO, which the DOL accepted and issued me a title. The DOL can talk you through exactly what you need to do. No shades of grey involved.

It really depends on what state the original title is issued. Wa dol does belong to a group of states that share vin info. If the original vin/ownership combination can be established and verified the transaction is easy like thepauley experienced.

It really depends on what state the original title is issued. Wa dol does belong to a group of states that share vin info. If the original vin/ownership combination can be established and verified the transaction is easy like thepauley experienced.

I can buy that. The WA DOL was able to give me the previous owner's info to contact them, which I thought was curious since it was another state.

I can tell you I had a 230f stolen quite a few years back, check the vin with the do l to make sure that last title was valid and go from there. Some days I wonder where my little 230 is.

I have one I'll sell you, got it a few years back, no title but I'll make you a fantastic buddy deal on it. :devil:

I can buy that. The WA DOL was able to give me the previous owner's info to contact them, which I thought was curious since it was another state.

ya, you hafta to a records search with another dept. They send you the PO info and you send registered certified mail. If no forwarding address left and the PO has moved or period of time for mail forwarding has ended it comes back to you. You're not supposed to open the contents rather bring returned mail to DOL and then they issue ownership in doubt title. Three years. :ride:

6 riders, this weekend is my anniversary with the wife so I couldn't get a pass to go to Shelton. Hope you guys had fun, we should hit up some trails soon though.

So this is a totally Captain Obvious statement but you should always transfer the title to your name immediately. 

Also, when you sell a vehicle immediately go online with the DOL and complete the Seller's Report of Sale. Immediately.

Two cases in point:

I sold a van to a guy who ended up getting in a wreck before he transferred the title. Turns out he didn't have insurance either. The van was still in my name because he had not transferred the title but fortunately I had reported it sold as he was pulling out of my driveway so I was off the hook.

Also, I had traded in a truck years ago. The dealer effed up the paperwork on my trade. They sold it to a dude that parked illegally at a state park and I ended up with a parking ticket in the mail for $60. Easiest thing was to simply pay it then had the dealer reimburse me.  If I were to trade in a vehicle again I would still report it sold myself.

Edited by Wiz636
  • Like 2