Sign in to follow this  

02 xr250r rear sprocket bolts!

I've had this bike about a month and it's basically all original. I was going to replace the rear sprocket with a 45t, but the sprocket bolts were so tight the hex side wanted to strip out. After soaking and waiting I managed to get all but one off without ruining them.

I've searched and don't find anyone else complaining. Are these bolts notorious or were mine just over-torqued and probably not ever removed before?

Are there better aftermarket bolts available? I'm looking but only find oem.

cheers

Fastenal would have any bolt you could ever want!! The bolts probably just galled up. Any time you tread into aluminum or stainless you should use some sort of lube, even locktite will lube treads. So I would say chase the old threads with a tap and then when you install your new bolts lube them with somthing. IMO

Long live the thumper!.... BRRRAAAAP

HI Nc..... I had the same problem with my rear sproket after the bike sat for sometime and never had to remove it for a spell.....then came that time i needed new...I used pb blaster and let sit overnight....worked like a charm.....i chased the bolt holes afterward to clean em ..then I coated threads of hexbolts with removable locktite.....

Hi and thanks for the replies. This bike has bolts and nuts, not tapped. I guess I'm ordering new, oem for now.

Soaking 'em with PB blaster is how I got as far as I did, couldn't wait overnight ;)