Sign in to follow this  

weird.knock

I dont know if this in the right spot but im new and i need help.so i was rideing my 05 crf 450r today and my chain broke and wrapped around my front sprocket.after i pulled it off i wanted to see if my engine was ok so i kicked it and it started fine and easy like always but however there is a loud knock now.the engine revs fine and idles like normal.the oils are fine and are changed ever 5-7 hours but the bike is not raced.the knock speeds up when the throttle is hit.idk what it can be i dont understand the diffrence between that and locking my breaks up.please help.

Could be a broken gear in the trans.

Take the chain back off and turn the counter sprocket by hand (engine off, obviously) see if you feel anything that feels notchy. Should turn smoothly. The chain binding up can hurt the counter shaft bearing, but it usually eats the case first.

I dont know if this in the right spot but im new and i need help.so i was rideing my 05 crf 450r today and my chain broke and wrapped around my front sprocket.after i pulled it off i wanted to see if my engine was ok so i kicked it and it started fine and easy like always but however there is a loud knock now.the engine revs fine and idles like normal.the oils are fine and are changed ever 5-7 hours but the bike is not raced.the knock speeds up when the throttle is hit.idk what it can be i dont understand the diffrence between that and locking my breaks up.please help.

I'd be guessing the big ends gone. engine locked up  and stressed the chain causing it to break, they seem to free up again from time to time which has allowed you to start it again. check the oil filter for rubbish threw it.

Does pulling in the clutch stop the noise? If it does, the problem is in the trans. If not, its in the motor. I new a guy that was trying to teach his daughter how to drive a man.trans Passat. He dumped the clutch in third from a stop. The timing belt broke and it bent all of his valves. Having that hard shutdown can stress parts.

Sorry for the delay. The clutch in or out plays no part in the sound I started the bike and checked all the gears. Everything seems to operate like normal besides the knock.i will pull the oil filter off and check that for anything odd.i was thinking its the cct because I pulled it of and was pushing on it but when I kinda smacked it it went about half way in. Im not sure about dirt bikes but I know on street bikes there shouldn't be any play in the cct cuz that kinda defeats the purpose.

i was thinking its the cct because I pulled it of and was pushing on it but when I kinda smacked it it went about half way in. Im not sure about dirt bikes but I know on street bikes there shouldn't be any play in the cct cuz that kinda defeats the purpose.

I would certainly check it very closely. If it failed and stayed retracted you could be hearing the cam chain slapping againts the guides and who knows what else. The auto tensioners are good when they work and an absolute catastrophe when they fail, which is fairly often. Especially if it is the original tensioner with a lot of hours on it. Do yourself a favor and get a manual tensioner. They sell a very well made one right here at the TT store at a awesome price https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/ThumperTalk-Manual-Cam-Chain-Tensioner-ENG-TT-MCCT1-p2006766344.html

Or you can pay twice that for more bling like the Tokyo Mods Tensioner.

Either way alomost everyone here will tell you it is a must!

Edited by mrmoto35