TTR-230 issues

2007 Yamaha TTR 230 dirtbike will start fine, after completely cleaning and draining the carb. It will idle forever after that and throttle fine while sitting still. If it is put in gear and you ride, maybe 30 feet later it will die and will not start unless taking the carb off again and draining it out. The float is new and seems fine. Clueless at this point on what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, we had to rule out the super simple stuff.

Any chance the float is stuck open? Is any fuel dripping out of the vent tubes while the bike is sitting still?

It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem. Can you open the float bowl drain screw, put a pan under the bike, turn on the gas, and observe an endless supply of good flowing gas?

just the opposite no fuel!

it can idle fine but give it gas and it sucks it up and poof gone

i bet if you opened drain from the bottom like you would drain gas it will be empty.

so the float is being pushed up

i have this happen to me when the float gets bent

taking the carb off and and on puts gas in the carb during the install process.

good luck

It isn't getting fuel after putting in in gear. It will sit and idle all day, I can even throttle it and its fine, only cuts off after putting it in gear and taking off.

You have a restriction in the fuel delivery.

First disconnect the line from the petcock into the carb, stick the hose into a container, and turn the petcock on. Big flow, or a trickle? If a trickle, remove tank, unscrew petcock, and find the restriction or plug.

If there is a tank/petcock restriction, then you probably don't also have a plugged carb.

If the fuel from the hose is huge, then off comes the carb and float bowl, off with the float, needle, and seat, and blow air backwards through the bottom of the carb into the inlet fitting and find that restriction.

This is the simplest and cheapest of all possible problems.