Sign in to follow this  

My rectifier is gone , make my own for cheap?

Seems my rec/reg is gone and wreckers want 100 dollars for a new one and was taking to electronics store and they have 400v 10 amp AC to dc half wave rectifier , so couldn't I wire this after stock rec/reg so it goes from the now 24v AC and half wave rectifies to 12v dc? There only 3 dollars aswell

Hobby shop only sells bridge rectifiers from AC to dc so I'm going to take my old rectifier out wire this in then that going into a 24 to 12v regulator to give constant 12v , I'm going to try the first one first to see how I can get dc current and what voltage it is first , I'll let you nool

Couple of points and issues:

Full wave is best.

AC voltage is usually stated as RMS which is much lower than the peak voltage.

All of the regulators apply a load to the system to limit peak voltage.

If you limit the AC peak voltage to 14 volts you won't get 13VDC that is needed for battery charging.

So IMO it is better to regulate the DC voltage.

There are motorcycle rect/reg that will work but they cost more than building your own rect.

I noticed when I took out the reg the AC went really high so I left it in but bridged off that and connected to a rectifier to get dc and now I waiting on my 24v dc to 12v dc step down and run new wires to lights and the tail light

Don't forget to double check the thermal path for that DIY full-wave. Keep the junctions cool for operation in the summer heat and general longevity. I recommend 50% of max junction temp. Choose Schottkey over silicon junction if you have the choice. Give the reverse voltage at least 50% margin over the peak, and same for the rms (continuous) current rating, which is dependent on loading (accessories).

Decided just to bridge off the output on my stock dc one , shouldn't burn it out with to much output with 35 watt headlight and 21 watt tail light should it ?