Sign in to follow this  

Crf450 Broken clutch basket

Ok so I was riding my bike (05 crf 450) at the sand dunes.. It started making noise and sounded like the clutch was making noise or slipping.. So I stopped riding it took it home and pulled it apart sure enough the clutch basket was busted..( It was a hinson by the way) as I was checking everything out I pulled one of the gears off and I found a piece that had been broken off of the case.. It was still in place but it looks like it's suppose to hold the bearing in place.. Just seeing if anyone knows if I could get it welded or if I just need to replace the cases. Any help is appreciated.

Hard to tell by the description but if its broken or cracked across the bearing seat it could be fixed but is more than likely going to cost more than a new case. Any pics ?

Looks to me like the basket busted it off.

I don't see a problem with running it the way it is. Bearing looks seated, as long as the bearings not moving, it should be fine for now.

Jmho

• Like 1

Any idea of how it broke? I was thinking it was caused by pressure from inside pushing the bearing out.. That's why I worry about running it how it is

I already have a new basket.. I'm talking about the piece of the case

that's what i'm saying they may replace the case half and labor since it was their part that failed. Tell em' you will post it all over the internet if they don't  :lol: too late. 

• Like 1

Good idea! Haha I doubt they would though

Most good companies with a good reputation will , that's how they get them, you will have to tell them you expect them to do so. they aren't going to call and offer it to you.  :thumbsup: It actually helps them out, they can test all they want but real world riding by consumers will prove their product good or bad. They would much rather you come on TT and show these pictures and say i busted this last week and the guys at Hinson fixed me up, Than i broke my clutch and they won't do anything about it don't buy their crap.  :ride:

• Like 1

I'd send that back to hinson with those pics they may fix it , worth a try . Billetproof my  :foul:

I was going to suggest the same thing. Every good aftermarket parts company stands behind their product to some degree or other. At the VERY least they'll send you a new basket which you can sell off. As for the broken shoulder section, I'm hard pressed to see its function.

Dumb those last two sentences down a little bit for me please? Haha

The piece that broke off the case doesn't look to be doing anything so I wouldnt worry about it.

• Like 2

i have seen this one time before, the piece broken off is the bearing stop, have you had the bike apart? the one i seen break like this one the thrust washers were mixed up causing the bearing behind the clutch basket to push out. it might not be the case here but something is going on in the tranny to cause this.