Sign in to follow this  

Chatter sounds!

Anyone who can help me get rid of the chatter my bike makes when I lugg a little to slow in second gear.

I just ordered front 14 t sprocket and rear 48t sprocket with new o ring 116 chain hope this helps. Any other suggestions would be great.

I have had KTM exc 450 and Kawasaki kdx 200 and 220 in the past, my first Honda and I really need to get used to it or figure out how to dial in for my riding here in north jersey ROCK HEAVEN.

Yep..Non cush drive rear wheel you are going to get chattering/clanking in low or lack of power situations. Possibly you'll rid yourself of it by gearing right for the conditions. Still..in the end you'll still get it at some stage on the XRs without a cush drive wheel . What years the bike???,,No real options if it's a disc brake.,You can buy some sort of cush for either the 650L or the 600..kinda new and not fully used yet is my reading on it..If it's a drum brake you can either throw an entire XL swingarm and wheel on...or mod the XL wheel and run it in the XR swingarm..

Edited by Horri

Thank you for your reply,

2008 XR650 with disc brake. I believe the Cush drive is what my ZX11 (rubber hub) had on it? If not, not sure what Cush drive is.

Thank you for your reply,

2008 XR650 with disc brake. I believe the Cush drive is what my ZX11 (rubber hub) had on it? If not, not sure what Cush drive is.

Yup, thats a cush.

Other than that, removing slack in the drive from worn chain, sprockets(sounds like you have this covered) and countershaft as well as proper chain tension can help. I think a lot of folks that are new to these bikes tend to lug them quite a bit, this comes up kind of frequently. I know they have a lot more low end grunt than most other bikes but they are still happier running some rpm.

I used to lug, because I thought it was cool to chug along, but now I think it could cause a lot of damage to drive train etc. (countershaft sprocket spline wear?) So now I keep the rpms up a bit to smooth out the jerk. Its the nature of a single cylinder thump! ( even my ole 81yam XT500 with cush would chug hard)

You have it figured out... stop doing whatever it is that causes it to chatter.

My 96 xr600 does this, I noticed it more after rebuilt the top end with a 10.5 to 1 610cc kit, and a hot cam. I thought it was due to chain slap/slack at first and keeping the chain adjusted properly will help but it does it worse at slow speeds in a higher gear, I can actualy see the power strokes when I look back at the tire track. It digs up the dirt a little more every time it jits the power stroke. As stated above by others here its just the nature of the beast. Just grab you a hand full of throttle smile and let the roost fly....:) you wont hear the chatter....