Sign in to follow this  

1mm of swing arm "play"

So I have a 2012 crf 250r and when my bike is on the stand there is about 1mm of jiggle room before the rear spring "engages." Is it normal? Could it be possibly be bearings? When I put my rear shock back in I had tension on the spring when tightening and I though that would have fixed it, but no.

So I have a 2012 crf 250r and when my bike is on the stand there is about 1mm of jiggle room before the rear spring "engages." Is it normal? Could it be possibly be bearings? When I put my rear shock back in I had tension on the spring when tightening and I though that would have fixed it, but no.

most likely the bottom shock bearing or it could be more than 1 bearing in the shock linkage

most likely the bottom shock bearing or it could be more than 1 bearing in the shock linkage

Bottom shock bearing meaning, apart of the linkage. Correct? And thank you

not so much your linkage yet,only were the bottom of the shock were it ties into the linkage their is a bolt that has a nut on one side of it the other side of the bolt has rounded t shape to it which allows you to tighten it from one side only.thats how my crf450 is,so what I did first was replace that bearing,bushing and dust seal that is apart of the bottom of the shock.you can buy it separately and replace it fairly easy and it took the up and down play out of my rear wheel.you may have to buy it from your Honda dealership so you can only buy that specific bottom shock bearing or piviotworcks sales the whole bottom linkage package together so that's another option for you.hope this helps and good luck. by the way it is a needle bearing not your regular bearing with a race and seal so be carful when you pack it with grease and don't let the needles fall out on you as you install it

Wiggle the swingarm up and down while putting a finger where the shock bearings are (one at a time) and you'll be able to feel if the play is at the top or bottom bearing. There shouldn't be any play but unless you're a pro it won't affect anything unless it's more like 4-5mm of play at the swingarm.

Just keep an eye on it.  Sometimes once a bearing gets a little bit of play it can quickly hammer itself to death.

You cleaned and lubed those bearings when you had it apart, right? ;)

Just keep an eye on it. Sometimes once a bearing gets a little bit of play it can quickly hammer itself to death.

You cleaned and lubed those bearings when you had it apart, right? ;)

I only pulled the shock nothing else

I doubt it has 1mm even new bikes has a little movement in the swingarm have tryed it myself several times.

Just check and grease your bearings and bolts that go in them if they are ok make sure they are well greased.

Cheers

I recently noticed about 3-4mm of play in my rear suspension (at the wheel/fender).  The hemi bearing was the problem and there was a significant increase in rear wheel traction when I fixed it.  Maybe linkage bikes are different (my bike is a KTM with pds)?

Edited by Colorado^