Sign in to follow this  

kx250 geared to... a 125?

Picked up the motor for my project bike. She's gonna be woods-mobile so i'm not needing the stock speed that's set for the track. I'm wondering how far i should gear it down to set the tone for her to be a torque monster unleashed in the woods? my 125 had a good amount of top end speed so somewhere to limit my bike around 50/ 60 mph (cause i'll still have powerlines to bust her wide open) 

I know the concept of getting more torque (smaller front sprocket, larger rear) but i don't know numbers..

Any recommendations? 

I run 13/52 its real good in the woods. I ride mostly single track.

Its good, put it in 2nd and let it roll.i ride mostly in 2nd and 3rd. And first is real low for those real nasty sections.

Its good, put it in 2nd and let it roll.i ride mostly in 2nd and 3rd. And first is real low for those real nasty sections.

Sweet! So stock front and 52 in the back? 

Anyone else?

I'm running 13/52 (woods exclusively) and it will run 65.2mph on my GPS app on my phone, don't know how accurate it is. It does real good on hills but just to be sure my next gearing will be 13/53. My dad had 13/53 on his 97 a long time ago and it would climb a tree if you lined it up just right.

Edited by snikwad003

Same here, its stock gearing I believe. Pulls really well in trails and up hills and such.

I think 48 in the rear is stock. Could be wrong though

For an 05 Kx250 I know it's 51. And 03. Not sure on other ones

Mine is an 01

13/48 is stock