I hate seeing my kid wipe out :(

Went to a local farm track I have heard about.

Met the guy and signed his waiver and ripped his backyard track.

Was similiar to my backyard track.

There was two other dads there each with two other kids.

So was fun to ride something different....yet not the full on OHV park and/or AMA track.

My boy is doing better on his YZ85.  Slapped the GoPro on him so we at least got some memories of Mr. Jeff's track. 

Guess he wanted a hbot lap on film as went in to a corner a bit hard.  Front locked up in the dust, he was quick enough to let off it, but it was just at the right time to catch and hi side him.

I was right behind (not pushing him....I swear I wasn't ! ?  ).  He dirt samples and the little bike flips over him.  Both are groaning on the ground.

Of course: I think the worse:  broken arm, punctured lung, busted ribs, crushed shoulder.....

I ditch my bike and help him out.  A kid on a PW50 puts past (remember those days when falls didnt hurt as bad?  10" off the ground and 10mph...).  He is aching and laying in the dirt.

Just wind knocked outta him.  Road the bike back to the pit area after sitting in the weeds for a while.

He didn't ride anymore today.

Hate seeing him eat dookie like that

GoPro had run outta battery by the time he augered-in :(  We were both looking forward to seeing the footage.

Coo

I have an 11 month old son that already loves sitting on dads bike and trying to work the controls. As anxious as I am for him to be big enough to ride, I almost dread it at the same time. I'd hate to see my kid wreck, or worse, get hurt. My wife doesn't want him to ride at all... We'll see when the time comes I guess.

• Like 1

As 'cool' as it is exposing your kid to motorsports as parents.........  you have to take into account that what you are doing might lead him/her on a path of risk taking behavior.  They'll develop a need for speed/adrenaline and push the envelope, and will likely hurt themselves in the process.  As a parent, do you accept responsiblity for this?  You can teach and lecture to your kids about saftey until the cows come home, but kids are going to be kids and somewhere along the way they'll take that one risk........ yeah, the one where they should of listened to the other voice instead, but too little too late and they get hurt.

Motorsports comes with alot of responsiblity, this ain't harmless fingerpainting we're talking about.

Edited by Honda_Power
  • Like 1

My son crashed his cr125 pretty hard about a month ago , just hauling down a straight, he had it wfo too, ? Back tire kinda kicked sideways then swung back violently he crossed the handlebars and over he went , you could just hear the chunk,clunk throttle rev , smash and UHMFFFG ! He was fine also knocked the air out of him , then he got mad cause i told him that was enough for that day and put his bike in the trailer . Walked like a robot for 3 days ?

• Like 2

I was right behind my son when he had a slow speed endo. He had just enough speed on a small hill to flip. He did a piledriver and the bike smashed him too. I had a hell of a time getting him back on the bike and we were a couple miles from the truck. He didn't want to ride anymore after that.

• Like 1

Can't relate to this specifically, but if you LIVE, you make mistakes, some are costly and not just on motorcycles. You learn.

Glad the boy is OK. we're all both more durable and fragile than we think.

Mike

• Like 3

50 yr rider/racer here, it is tough to see your kid eat it and get hurt. Son was life flighted in intensive care for 6 days, 10 additional days hospital care, et,etc, etc, couldn't ride for a year and half. You have to have a frank conversation about this issue with the whole family. And your son needs to understand this is not a game, people die.

My son is doing well and back racing 18 now, he understands the potential for injury. We understand the potential for injury. But, the smile he gets when he heads out to ride is still there when he returns. this is his love, and accepts all issues with it. We as well!

• Like 7

When does too young become not enough? Lots of parents out there are letting their kids ride and it might not be such a good idea. Children's bodies are still in their development stage, and fracturing bone or impairment the kid may have to live with the rest of his life. Is what you want? We get on here and tell everyone how busted up we are from taking falls, so could you imagine these kinds of injuries on a kid that's only 5 or 6? Let the kid develop on his/her own, and don't be so ready to push your kids into something that might hurt or kill them.

Ok, I said. :devil:

• Like 4

I was right behind my son when he had a slow speed endo. He had just enough speed on a small hill to flip. He did a piledriver and the bike smashed him too. I had a hell of a time getting him back on the bike and we were a couple miles from the truck. He didn't want to ride anymore after that.

Some kids are like that , mines hard headed but loves to ride .He compound fractured his leg when he was 9 on his yz80 bone sticking out and everything few months in a cast, titanium rods , staples he didn't care as soon as the dr. said ok, he was right back on it. Riding it harder than ever . Wish i could get him to do his school work like that. ?

• Like 1

When does too young become not enough? Lots of parents out there are letting their kids ride and it might not be such a good idea. Children's bodies are still in their development stage, and fracturing bone or impairment the kid may have to live with the rest of his life. Is what you want? We get on here and tell everyone how busted up we are from taking falls, so could you imagine these kinds of injuries on a kid that's only 5 or 6? Let the kid develop on his/her own, and don't be so ready to push your kids into something that might hurt or kill them.

Ok, I said. :devil:

Don't think anyone is pushing, just allowing. My parents allowed a lot. If not pushed but allowed, even youngsters can find the equilibrium. Not totally safe, but who wants to live in that world? At any age?

Mike

• Like 2

Can't relate to this specifically, but if you LIVE, you make mistakes, some are costly and not just on motorcycles. You learn.

Glad the boy is OK. we're all both more durable and fragile than we think.

Mike

This... 

Don't think anyone is pushing, just allowing. My parents allowed a lot. If not pushed but allowed, even youngsters can find the equilibrium. Not totally safe, but who wants to live in that world? At any age?

Mike

....and this...

Its all a calculated risk. Even going outside or putting on the toaster when you wake up.

May as well enjoy life before sickness or bad luck makes the possibility of enjoyment impossible anyway.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 4

This... 

....and this...

Its all a calculated risk. Even going outside or putting on the toaster when you wake up.

May as well enjoy life before sickness or bad luck makes the possibility of enjoyment impossible anyway.

Yes and I am of an age and bad habits that continue to make me want to go for it now while I can. The calculation for a youngster is somewhat different, but I think kids should experience more excitement and risk than a video game. If it's soccer or American football, good! (though they're trying to restrict that here also) If it's riding, also good! Well, even better.

Mike

• Like 2

If only my parents would have gotten me into motorsports racing at a young age......... I could of been a Formula 1 or MotoGP racer right now, I'm just naturally talented.

I'm still angry at my parents to this day.  ?

glad he is ok  

my daughter has had 2-3 over the last month but they have only been front end tucking under and soft falls , in a way its been good as she has released you can fall off and not hurt yourself so it hasn't stopped her she is 10 on a 65 , we were at the track the other day and there was a kid there that competes in the nationals he was on it so fast , she was watching him for a few laps turned and said i am so ashamed look how fast he is . She has only just started on the 65 she will get there , i try to point her in the right direction without pushing her so its fun but it does get frustrating sometimes , i find she tries a lot harder if she rides with one of my friends rather than me . still dad and daughter riding days are the best would not change them for anything 

• Like 4

If only my parents would have gotten me into motorsports racing at a young age......... I could of been a Formula 1 or MotoGP racer right now, I'm just naturally talented.

I'm still angry at my parents to this day.  ?

HP has access to better mind alternating substances than I do. Kali, used to it, I'll get over it. But I'm still jealous.

Mike

If only my parents would have gotten me into motorsports racing at a young age....

No shit.

Expensive though, which makes it really hard.  I don't know how some of these guys do it... 2-3 kids running half a dozen classes all weekend... $$$$$.  Then you start looking at gear every year or two, not to mention maintenance on yet another machine or two...

DSC_6177_-L.jpg

I'm still angry at my parents to this day. ?

That's not fair to say. I'm a parent and I hear a similar lament from a son who rides like a maniac on his kx450. He started on a mini bike at 9 and got the dirtbike at 16. Now at almost 18 he wants a motorcycle permit for a street bike. I'm proud of him and I love watching him ride, but I worry about him and like everyone else here, I don't want to see him get hurt. I suggested the mini bike in the first place. Don't think I could forgive myself if a car driver hit him.
  • Like 1