Sign in to follow this  

BW200 Big Wheel

Hi there everyone:

First, I hope this is the correct forum for this Yamaha Big Wheel discussion.  I lurked about on the site and searched for previous threads regarding the BW200 or really any Big Wheel (80, 200, 350), and did not really come up with a dedicated forum so I threw it into its more respected cousin; the TW200 thread.

I have a 1985 BW200 and wanted to know if they ever came with titles in Ohio or just Certificates of Origin?  I would like to get it legit in the unlikely event that I should sell it.

Let me know what the definitive scoop was regarding titles for these goofy things.

Thanks

Klockwerken

Contact the Ohio DMV or DOL (whichever there is in Ohio) and ask them.  They would know for sure.

For the record, the BW200 was not a dual sport bike, so your thread really doesn't belong in this forum.  A post in the TTR forum would be closer as they are play bikes like the old BW models.

Thanks USED YZ426F regarding the Ohio DMV and especially the correct forum.  I can never really tell what category a Big Wheel falls into...I didn't see a forum for Novelty or Oddball but if you did, I might even be the topic of a parked thread!

As for the BMV, I can not seem to find someone there who knows definitively...their default answer is, "all motorcycles came with Titles and not Certificates of Origin," which is patently incorrect.  The hardest thing to accomplish during an exercise such as this is getting the right person who: A) willing to take their time to investigate the matter and, B) knows what they are talking about and lastly, C) Has a pathway and clear steps to correct the issue to obtain a re-issued title.

I even called a few Yamaha Dealerships and I got a mixed bag of answers too.

I welcome the rest of the members to chime in to add their experience with, 'Certificates of Origin vs. Titles,' for the answer.

Thanks everyone and perhaps I will move the string to the TTR Forum.

I'd ask your local Yamaha dealer what a 2014 Yamaha TTR125LE comes with, as they are both off-road-only dirt bikes.

Over here in Connecticut, it's Certificate of Origin.

Edited by YZEtc

I'd ask your local Yamaha dealer what a 2014 Yamaha TTR125LE comes with, as they are both off-road-only dirt bikes.

Over here in Connecticut, it's Certificate of Origin.

I believe all motorcycles come with the Certificate of Origin (COO), street and dirt.  Some (most?) states use the COO to issue a title for dirt bikes and all states do that for street bikes.  My state of Washington uses the COO to issue a title for all motorcycles.  Buying a used bike without a title in my state is an automatic 20-30% off the asking price, just for the hassle of proving ownership as it takes three years to get a permanent title when changing ownership without an existing title.