Sign in to follow this  

xl600r fith gear cruising rpm and speed data for a given sprocket set? Post yours

I want to hear what others rpms are for a given cruising speed in 5th gear is. I am running a 15/47 on an 83 xl600r at 60mph I am running 4000 rpm and at 75mph I am running 4700-4800 rpm. I has a good and un-stressed buzz at 75 and just want to know what others think about there rpm and crusing speed. What you think the bike motor is best to run with at cruising speed. I know that max torque is at 5k and max hp is 6k in the spec book and this turns out to be true real time. I notice that above 7k the bike does not produce enough worthy power to be in that range. I don't know what the red line is or even over rev is for these bikes. It is most happy between 3500 and 5000. Any one have some thoughts? 

If I had a tacho I would,,All I know is that above or around 90mph my bike is revving pretty high with 16/39 gearing..Speedos also reading

a bit out so I'm uncertain of the true speed,,I wouldn't feel comfortable running the engine at those revs for too long.,,few miles is the max

I'd do at those kind of revs or speed whatever they are. I need taller gearing and a more accurate speedo.. :lol:..The semi good news after

my testing the weekend gone is at least the FCR carb seems to be about right at those speeds with a 165 main,,still has some left and

may even be better with a 168. If I have a spare 168 I'll put it in at some stage and retest it at a later date..Basically the bike is an XL600

with a single carb so I feel my inputs relevant..

Edited by Horri

I want to hear what others rpms are for a given cruising speed in 5th gear is. I am running a 15/47 on an 83 xl600r at 60mph I am running 4000 rpm and at 75mph I am running 4700-4800 rpm. I has a good and un-stressed buzz at 75 and just want to know what others think about there rpm and crusing speed. What you think the bike motor is best to run with at cruising speed. I know that max torque is at 5k and max hp is 6k in the spec book and this turns out to be true real time. I notice that above 7k the bike does not produce enough worthy power to be in that range. I don't know what the red line is or even over rev is for these bikes. It is most happy between 3500 and 5000. Any one have some thoughts? 

I was inccorrect and an was off by 10k in my rpms, 4200 at 55mp and 5000 at 65mph. I spoke to a local mechic the said the 5k range is good for cruising rpm becuase above this the valves need ajusting more. Why I do not know but 65mph at 5k is plenty good for my riding. 

I spoke to a local mechic the said the 5k range is good for cruising rpm becuase above this the valves need ajusting more. Why I do not know. 

The valves need more frequent adjustment because the parts are wearing faster, that's why.

A lot of RFVCs need top ends before 10,000mi partly because they run hot and partly because they are big, heavy engines that twist hard at highway speed. The elevated RPM also causes higher oil temps and faster wear on the rod small end. Personally, I would try to keep it at 4500 or less at the cruising speed you most often encounter.

Makes sense. I am crusing between 50-60mph on secondary roads. The 15-47 sprockets makes this 3800-4800 rpm. I am running Amsoil synthetic 60wt motocycle oil and seams to be good. I change it about every 1k. 

Edited by Free xl600r