Sign in to follow this  

KTM repack exhaust popping

I have repacked my stock exhaust can a few times since I bought the bike and it does not seem to have a good seal on either end even though I have replaced O-rings.  After being dissasembled multiple times the exhaust does not fit together as well as it used to. Would an air leak around either end of exhaust can cause popping on over-run? Also the internal flange is badly worn and does not seem to make good seal when connected to exhaust and I think some exhause could be escaping into packing.  I would like to stop the popping and am hoping that it is an air leak so that I do not have to try to richen the carb.

thanks

Popping is usually is caused by a leak at the manifold end. Remove the pipe and glue some brass shim on the manifold and tap pipe back on with a rubber mallet. No more leaks there after doing that. IMO, using any sort of silicone for this purpose is going to be a temp fix at best.

As stated above, popping is usually an air leak closer to the header where the pipe.  If you also have a hanging idle then you might be too lean on bottom.  Is your bike carbureted?  If so, it might be time to give it a good cleaning, especially the low speed jet.