1999 KX125 with blown top end. Worth it?

There is a 1999 kx125 on my local craigslist that has a blown top end. He is asking $650 but I talked him down to $450. It is in pretty good shape. He is the second owner of the bike. He rode it in the dunes and said the top end is blown. He said the bottom end is good but without checking you never know. I am looking for bikes to buy fix and sell for a profit. I know if it is just a new top end it needs I can fix it and make a good profit. The thing Im not sure about is the cylinder. Would the cylinder need resleeved or does it just depend? I figure I could put $400at the most into it and could still come out ahead. Is it worth it to take the chance or could I be running into more and more problems? Thanks!

Edited by ryg95

Without seeing everything it's just a crap shoot. I doubt you'll just throw a $100 piston and ring set in and be good to go. If that was all it took, wouldn't the current owner do it and sell the bike for twice as much or more? 

Cylinder could be damaged, needing a replate or sleeve. Crank bearings could be shot. Crank itself could be out of true. Maybe the powervalves were damaged by the carnage. That all right there could be $600-$800. And who know's about other things on a 15 year old MX bike that was abused in the dunes. How are the reeds? Brake pads? Shock blown out and ran without oil, destroying the shock body? Wheel bearings, linkage bearings, head set bearings, trans and water pump, are the chain and sprockets good, etc etc etc.   

Far too many unanswered questions to know if you can make money on this. 

I bought my 01 the same way, ended up needing everything the guy above listed, AND MORE. Bikes like these are great if you plan to put in more than its worth, then keep the bike, admire it all the time, and have fun with it. Never have I seen someone flip a blown up bike for a profit, so I would say no based on that alone. HOWEVER, if you have a main bike and would want a 125 project, the price is in the ballpark assuming the bearings/plastics/other stuff is in ok shape. Plan to spend at least 1000 on it after your 400 for the bike. Good luck, keep us all updated on your decision.

• Like 2

"has a blown top end" ..."It is in pretty good shape."

Just listen to yourself.

I am talking about cosmetically looks in good shape. Obviously the motor is not. The frame and side cases do not have much wear. Kinda seems like I might get myself in a whole. I might at least go look at it and see. I figure it's worth that in parts too.

I bought my 01 the same way, ended up needing everything the guy above listed, AND MORE. Bikes like these are great if you plan to put in more than its worth, then keep the bike, admire it all the time, and have fun with it. Never have I seen someone flip a blown up bike for a profit, so I would say no based on that alone. HOWEVER, if you have a main bike and would want a 125 project, the price is in the ballpark assuming the bearings/plastics/other stuff is in ok shape. Plan to spend at least 1000 on it after your 400 for the bike. Good luck, keep us all updated on your decision.

Wise words!