What bike?

Always had 4 stroke, I'm 40 don't want hight maintanence, I've read Ktm200exc is bullet proof but will it have the power to satisfy, I'm no racer more trail rider but like to have power to use, is ktm300 as reliable as they say the 200 is? I'm only a small guy 65kg but I like what they say about the 300 being able to lug up hills! Witch is the easier to ride200 or 300, ?

I'm the same weight as you. I think the 300 will be to much, I had one few years back. I always felt exhausted riding it.

I'm now on my 3rd 200. They are such a hard bike to beat for my size. They can lugged and reved.

What 4 stroke are you on? If you like the power then just choose the equivalent 2 banger.

• Like 1

If you are use too 4 stroke type power and you want lots of power, get a 300 and tune it the way you want it.  My 300 is an absolute tractor but still very easy to ride and manageable.  The 200 requires a bit more work to get up hills and if you want to go fast you have to rev it a bit more than you may be use too.  As far as seat height goes there really is not a lot of difference between them, and the weight of the 300 is only 8 to 10 lbs more than a 200 while nearly doubling the power.  I raced a 200 for years and I liked them but I can go faster, longer and be less tired on my 300 than I ever could my 200.  You just do not have to work as hard to go fast or get up hills.  The 300 is also just as nimble and way quicker than a 200 in the tight stuff, at least for me and my riding style.

I am sure the 200 guys are going to chime in here and that is all good.  This is just my opinion and my experience.  I am sure other opinions will be very different and some the same.  If you get a chance ride a 200 and a 300 and decide by seat of pants feel.

• Like 1

Owned 2 300's and now a 200, the 200 has plenty of torque and it feels WAY lighter, I can go faster, longer on my 200 especially in the tight stuff. I'd be shocked if your average ride were actually faster on a 300 and super shocked if they were faster for longer. I raced my 200 to a B class championship against lots of 350, 450, and 300cc machines, the 200 was an advantage most days. 

• Like 1

Owned 2 300's and now a 200, the 200 has plenty of torque and it feels WAY lighter, I can go faster, longer on my 200 especially in the tight stuff. I'd be shocked if your average ride were actually faster on a 300 and super shocked if they were faster for longer. I raced my 200 to a B class championship against lots of 350, 450, and 300cc machines, the 200 was an advantage most days. 

And there you have it....two totally different views and both are right I am sure.  Just a difference of how we ride and what we like.  I rode my 200 to a Missouri State Hare scramble class championship and I rode my 300 to a National Enduro class championship.  So I have had success on both, but I honestly know that the 300 suits me much better.  Sounds like Squid racer is the exact opposite.

Ride them both and decide, the best way to know.

• Like 2

Ive always rode 4 strokes and first bought a 200. Nice bike and was very light but It had that 2 stroke hit that I did not like and I felt like I had to get it on the pipe to ride any hills or clear any obstacle. I then traded it for a 400 exc 4 stroke. Loved the power but the weight was a huge difference. Not so much on the scale but the way it felt ridding it . It was heavy. I then traded it for a 300 exc and Im in love. You can ride it like a 4 stroke or twist the throttle and it will flly. Not as light as the 200 but much better power for a former 4 stroke rider. I will never go back. I love my 300. if your in the wrong gear on a hill it lugs down and keeps pulling. I would say the 300 is the bike for a 4 stroke rider trying to make the switch to a two stroke. Just my .02 cents. hope this helps. 

I'm the same weight as you. I think the 300 will be to much, I had one few years back. I always felt exhausted riding it.

I'm now on my 3rd 200. They are such a hard bike to beat for my size. They can lugged and reved.

What 4 stroke are you on? If you like the power then just choose the equivalent 2 banger.

2013 kx450f

I'm gonna guess that you'll like the 300 vs the 200...There is no substitute for 450 raw power.. but you will find out that the 3 vs 2hundo will grunt down lower, allow one to make a mistake and not pay for it low end wise, is easy and nimble to ride.

AND it will come very alive when you need it to.

• Like 1

I would tend to agree with dyrtmon. I ride a 200xcw coming off a 426 stroker. I love the 200 it is light fun to ride and has enough power for me im 5' 11" 185lbs. that said my dad has a 300 and it is a great bike as well. It lugs and chugs better and is still pretty light and has lots of power. the 200 you have to be on your game shifting more then the 300 you can forget to shift and lug it still. they are both super fun bikes. I would try both before you buy but if you cant you wont be un happy either one you choose

I would tend to agree with dyrtmon. I ride a 200xcw coming off a 426 stroker. I love the 200 it is light fun to ride and has enough power for me im 5' 11" 185lbs. that said my dad has a 300 and it is a great bike as well. It lugs and chugs better and is still pretty light and has lots of power. the 200 you have to be on your game shifting more then the 300 you can forget to shift and lug it still. they are both super fun bikes. I would try both before you buy but if you cant you wont be un happy either one you choose

Thanks I'm starting to think the 300 will be the bike parked in my shed