Sign in to follow this  

piston circlips correct way ?

i have just replaced my piston in my YZ250 and now i read the cir-clip is meant to go in a certain way ,

the hole the pin goes through has a groove along 1/8 of the hole on the side of the piston ,i lined up the gap in the cir-clip   up with the

groove (unintentionally) and decided to leave it.  

is that algood or naaa ...      :facepalm:

i have just replaced my piston in my YZ250 and now i read the cir-clip is meant to go in a certain way ,

the hole the pin goes through has a groove along 1/8 of the hole on the side of the piston ,i lined up the gap in the cir-clip   up with the

groove (unintentionally) and decided to leave it.  

is that algood or naaa ...      :facepalm:

I'd say nah.

Circlip gap is supposed to be away from the access slot.

Improperly installed cir clips often cause trouble.

The gap in the clip should be at 6 or 12 o clock to prevent the up and down movement of the piston to make the clip come out of the groove

• Like 3

but it being in line with the gap isnt going to make anything any different, its all going to be in the groove. 

the gap is there so you can get it out .. right ?

Making absolutely sure it's completely snapped into place all the way around is critical. The orientation of the gap is far less important than that.

I've always been told to put the gap at 12o'clock or 6o'clock so the G forces can't compress the clip and allow it to come out. Honestly, I don't know how much truth there is to this, but as it doesn't take any extra effort to do so I've always done it. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 3

Like stated above .the correct position is with the opening and the 12 or 6 oclock . There is greater risk or the clip coming out in other positions.

• Like 1

Like stated above .the correct position is with the opening and the 12 or 6 oclock . There is greater risk or the clip coming out in other positions.

What part of that statement do some of you not understand? 12, or 6 are your ONLY options

What part of that statement do some of you not understand? 12, or 6 are your ONLY options

Not true, the clip CAN be oriented in any direction.

What you meant to say is those are the only positions it SHOULD be oriented in.

Glad I could help. :p

• Like 1

Can somebody please explain WHY it is more likely to come loose if not at 6 or 12?

I am sure I have built a few where it was not correct (but not with ends in open spot), and never had a problem.

I do recall an old time Pro mechanic telling me the correct way, but I never understood why it was less likely to come loose.

Can somebody please explain WHY it is more likely to come loose if not at 6 or 12?

I am sure I have built a few where it was not correct (but not with ends in open spot), and never had a problem.

I do recall an old time Pro mechanic telling me the correct way, but I never understood why it was less likely to come loose.

The theory is that, if the gap faces to the side, the immense vertical g-forces from the piston stopping and starting at TDC and BDC can compress the clip at the gap, loosening it in the slot enough for it to come out,

Like I said, I don't know how much truth there is to that, as I've torn down engines with the gap facing every different direction on the clock. But since it doesn't take any extra effort to face it to 6 or 12, I've always done it.

I have a dumbassed knowit&%$#@!all buddy who uses used circlips, because the new ones are too hard to get in..... When I told him he shouldn't do that, he yells and screams like an arsehole that I'm wrong. He has told me you don't need to gap rings either. It's already done at the factory...

I have a dumbassed knowit&%$#@!all buddy who uses used circlips, because the new ones are too hard to get in..... When I told him he shouldn't do that, he yells and screams like an arsehole that I'm wrong. He has told me you don't need to gap rings either. It's already done at the factory...

We all know someone like this. They're the ones that we have to tow out of the woods half the time that they go. :lol:

Edited by Chokey

We all know someone like this. They're the ones that we have to tow out of the woods half the time that they go. :lol:

NEVER happens to this guy! He's one of these people who could jump out of an airplane, realize he forgot his chute, and land in a pile of money.

• Like 3